We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ireland to perth

cork
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
ireland to perth

Hi all

we have a job opportunity in Perth and are considering the move. We have three children between nine and sixteen. So there is a lot to consider

We were thinking of the bullcreek area because we want to be near shops,trains and have a nice area with good schools. The whole school thing seems a bit confusing, but I was looking at applecross or rossmore.

Secondary school would be more of a consideration than primary.

Also the boys are into sport mainly gaelic and soccor. Is there much of that in Perth.

Is there a nice area you could recommend with the above we would probably be in the 650 to 700000 price range, and need four bedrooms.

Also what is there for teenagers and what kind of stuff do they do

Thanks DK

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
243 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: ireland to perth

that travel time is by car...

Otherwise you can catch a bus to the city busport and then catch a bus from the busport to the Stirling Hwy area (near UWA). Soon there will be a train that would take you to the city and then would need to catch that bus to Stirling Hwy. Public transport would probably take you an hour to get to work from Bull Creek.

If you want to send your kids to a public school, the Rossmoyne area would be best (South), but im not sure about private schools, probably Christchurch for boys and Methodist Ladies college for girls (Which are both right near UWA but in the exclusive area)

cork
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: ireland to perth

Hi all

Thanks to both posts, I will look up surrounding suburbs.

I have spent time in Sydney a long time ago now, is Perth similar.

It gets great reviews here, for the mediteranean lifestyle and the laid back attitude.

I would be concerned that there would be a real feeling of isolation.

I booked a flight this weekend to Dublin which cost me ten euros all in! I know it was only a short hop but the cost to London was about 24.

Do you mind not being able to make a short trip away like you can here say to Europe.

Is it a good city to live in, I suppose we are looking for nice places to eat, a buzz around the place and a safe place as cities go.

I love New York for all those reasons.

Also if you live in a suburb is there a centre, a community which you can become part of and integrate into- we lived in a suburb in London and it was fairly anonymous.

We are coming up to decision time and these are the elements that would be vital.

What makes Perth great?!

DK

Perth WA
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: ireland to perth

Everyone’s experience is different. I moved to Perth for family reasons and would not choose to live here otherwise. So I’m sure you’ll get different views. And before anyone attacks me personally these are MY OPINIONS. You’re welcome to add yours.

“I have spent time in Sydney a long time ago now, is Perth similar.”

No. Perth is much smaller, quieter and conservative. It has been called Dullsville by guidebooks but they have tourists in mind, not residents. Still, you should be aware that shops close at 6 (except for 1 night a week) and are not open Sundays.

“I would be concerned that there would be a real feeling of isolation.”

You are correct to think this. It’s what I like least about living in Perth. Study a map of Australia carefully.

“Do you mind not being able to make a short trip away like you can here say to Europe?”

Yes! To visit another city requires a flight of at least 3 hours (to Adelaide). However you can get to Singapore, Hong Kong or Bali in 5-6 hours. But it’s not cheap.

“Nice places to eat, a buzz around the place and a safe place as cities go.”

Yes there are plenty of nice places to eat – but few if any top-class restaurants (according to Australian Gourmet Traveller). It is generally very safe but there is little or no “buzz”. New York and Perth cannot be compared on any level – trust me, I’ve lived in both.

(except for the price of orchids - in Perth you can grow them in your backyard!)

“Also if you live in a suburb is there a centre, a community which you can become part of and integrate into”

No, except possibly in Fremantle. The hub of most suburbs is the shopping mall.

“What makes Perth great?”

Family and economic opportunities, flowers and mild winters.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
243 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: ireland to perth

alot of English people are coming here, and are immigrating here by the thousands. Follow them.

The weather here is the best in the world, if you are an outdoorsy person, then it is suited to you.

It is the most isolated city in the world, but I have never really felt isolated at all... It takes about 4 hrs to fly to Sydney, and cheap flights are around $200, and we go there all the time. We dont bat an eyelid to do that, but we aren't used to flying somewhere for $10...

perth
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: ireland to perth

Holidayd, I was born in Sydney and lived there for 21 years. I have been In W.A for 36 years now and would not go back to Sydney even tho I love it ( as my birth place. ) If you decide that Perth will be your home you will settle in ,I'm sure.

Anyway .. to another matter- you mentioned that your husband likes to play tennis. Check out Tennis West, they will have a list of suburbs with courts. Something else..every year Perth hosts the Hopman Cup, a mixed team event, attracting top players from U.S.A. France, Belgium, Switzerland, Thailand, Australia , Sth Africa in the past ,and other countries. It runs for 7 days. The point of my telling you is the organisers use volunteer ushers and as a volunteer one gets to see lots of great tennis. Something like this may appeal to your husband.

I do it and it is hard work...dealing with the spectators, lots of standing, but worth it.Good luck with your move.

P.S my great great grandmother came to Australia from Ireland in about 1835- 1840, as a 15 year old, they needed females to balance out the males. I can't imagine how she did it, so you guys should be O.K.

16. Re: ireland to perth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 12:20