We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To book ahead or not?

No. California
Level Contributor
448 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
To book ahead or not?

My husband and I will arrive in Perth on Dec 15 and spend a week exploring the surrounding areas. We are thinking of going south to the Wine country and possibly further south than that. We depart on Dec 24. I currently only have bookings for our first and last night accomodations. Is this risky?

In general we don't like to plan our travel in advance unless we have to. We like to be very spontaneous with deciding to stay somewhere or move on. Basically anchor our arrival and departure and then decide a couple days of accomodation at a time. I've seen postings that school holiday's may cause bookings to become scarce. We don't mind risking it a bit...but we don't want to sleep in the car if we can't find accomodations.

Can we travel with only 2- 3 days lead time on accomodations in WA the week before Christmas?

Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To book ahead or not?

hi MK Cal

I wouldn't do it! You may have bad luck trying to get anything even now!!!

Mikala

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
658 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To book ahead or not?

Do yourself a favour and book ahead now. Spontaneity is fine but practicality is better. Accommodation is at a premium over the summer holidays especially in those parts. Google up names like Busselton, Bunker Bay, Yallingup, Cowaramup, Margaret River, Augusta and see what comes up and allow about 3 days around these parts min. You might have a rough chance of late bookings in places like Albany (allow 2-3 days) and Esperance (2 days) but even they get very busy in summer. If you expect comfort - plan ahead.

Perth WA
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: To book ahead or not?

You don't say what sort of accommodation you want. I think you'd probably be able to find something but there may be very limited choice.

Why not contact a few places to see what's available during the period and then decide? If you find places full, I'd advise you to ring around until you find something and book. WA has a small population and even the holiday areas don't have the number of accommodation options that the US does.

BTW - I have slept in my car during the school holidays - this was in NSW - there was nothing to be had in 3 towns at any price.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,149 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To book ahead or not?

I gave up the idea of spontaneity in the holiday period years ago when I was forced to sleep on the floor of the YWCA with a toddler at Easter in Albury!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: To book ahead or not?

The Test (cricket) will be on in Perth that weekend. I was looking on some websites last week for Perth accommodation on the 16th and there is very little left at a reasonable price.

Perth WA
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: To book ahead or not?

Yikes, I forgot about the cricket...Book now!

No. California
Level Contributor
448 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To book ahead or not?

Thank you all for your responses! I'll do something different and plan ahead. We are very excited about seeing WA !

8. Re: To book ahead or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2016, 08:30
9. Re: To book ahead or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Perth
Recent Conversations