We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help from NZ experts

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
146 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Help from NZ experts

I am hoping that Zapper and other NZ experts can tell me what to do here. We leave for a three week vacation (self drive) in early March. Lot's of help in formulating our itinerary from Zapper and others on this site - gold stars and thanks. Here is the latest question:

We fly into Auckland and want to rent a car which we will drive throughout both islands. The booking company says we need to cross from one island to the other by ferry and the costs involve both passenger fees and the car fee. They also mentioned there was only one car company Maui that is allowed to cross over. Any thoughts on where we should fly roundtrip to Auckland or fly into Auckland and then drop off the car in Queenstown and then fly to Auckland from there? Hope this makes sense. I am all planned out.

You are the best. Mapita

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help from NZ experts

Hi Mapita, I think you're best to pick up the car in Auckland, leave it in Queenstown and fly back to Auckland. You will have a much more leisurely trip and get to see more by doing it this way.

Your agent is not quite right, there are a few companies that allow their cars to be taken across on the ferry (off the top of my head I can't remember who, LuptonLodge may visit and be able to confirm who for you) but the bigger companies do require you to leave one car in Wellington and collect another on the otherside in Picton (no big deal)- it's more a case of economics- there are no ferry charges for the car and they don't end up with all their cars on the wrong island.

london
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help from NZ experts

I am just back from NZ.

I rented with APEX car hire... about 44NZD per day.

I have to say they were fabulous. true the car was not new but thats what i paid for.. you pay more .. you get newer car.

anyway i flew down to christchurch and drove back upto auckland.

I am, glad i did otherwaise there would have been way too much driving by far.

what they do is ask what day you expect to take ferry over. and what you do is leave the car with them at one side (ie Picton) and when you get over to the other side (wellington) you pick up a new car. so no need to pay for car on a ferry.

for me it was ideal. i had no problem bookin ferry ticket as i was foot passenger also.

when i got to wellington i did not need to pixck up the car immediately and they said as i was staying in wellington why dont they tranfer the car to their central office rather than me go out to ferry terminal. which was again very handy for me.

when i left the car back at the airport (although they are beside the international terminal they are about 10min walk,) the girl kindly offered to drive me into departures with my luggage after i left off the car. So their service was superb.

3. Re: Help from NZ experts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 19:16