We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Aukland or Not?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Aukland or Not?

Hello. I am in the process of planning a 4-5 week excursion to New Zealand and Australia in April 2018. The folks in the Australia forum have already convinced me to travel independently instead of an organized tour. However, I am somewhat following the pattern of the tour I was interested in. Here is link to tour. https://www.gate1travel.com/asia-pacific/aus…

As there are numerous local flights during this trip, I'm wondering where I can cut out a destination. I have 4 stops in Australia that I'm really dedicated to (Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Ayers Rock). Aukland, NZ will be my first stop following the international flight from the US. My real interests here are Queenstown and Dunedin. No doubt I will be exhausted and attempting to adjust to the 12 hour time zone difference.

I'm considering just flying straight to Queenstown from Aukland airport, and staying here for 4 or 5 days instead of getting accommodations in Aukland. Will I miss much by not staying in Aukland?

Thanks for your comments.

Edited: 05 May 2017, 17:48
Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
Dunedin
Dunedin
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
59 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Aukland or Not?

Depends on what you're looking for. I enjoyed exploring Auckland for a couple days. Museums, SkyTower, absolutely incredible food, fun shopping districts, trip on the ferry up to Devenport where you can climb the small hills for a view of the harbor and Auckland skyline, etc. It's a proper city with all that comes with urban city life. And did I mention the food? Sooo good.

Queenstown is less a city, and more a jumping point for adventure. Hikes, boat trips, luge, gondola, frisbee golf, etc. Nearby Arrowtown and Glenorchy are common areas for tourists to visit, assuming you'll have a car.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Queenstown
Queenstown
Arrowtown
Arrowtown
Glenorchy
Glenorchy
California
Level Contributor
10,168 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Aukland or Not?

Queenstown is a lot easier to get around without a car, as it's really a town and not a city. You can walk from end to end of the town center in 10 minutes. Most every tour operator will pick you up either in the center of town or at your accommodation.

I don't think you'll miss anything by skipping Auckland. But this is from the viewpoint of someone who does not care for big cities (although I did like Sydney).

Mentioned in this post
Queenstown
Queenstown
Auckland
Auckland
Sydney
Sydney
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,440 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Aukland or Not?

How many weeks are you in NZ for? If only 2 weeks you are probably wise to move on to Christchurch or Queenstown ASAP and spend a couple of days exploring before picking up a rental car.

Mentioned in this post
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Queenstown
Queenstown
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,920 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Aukland or Not?

If you are spending time in Sydney you can skip Auckland. As nice as it is, it's just another big Australasian city, and they are all much the same.

I think you will find the contrast between Uluaru and the Queenstown region to be quite dramatic.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Auckland
Auckland
Queenstown
Queenstown
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Aukland or Not?

Thank you all for the feedback. Much appreciated. I had intended to spend 4-5 days in Queenstown, then another 3 days in Dunedin before moving on to Sydney. However I'm not reading many positive reviews about Dunedin. Now I'm unsure where else to stay in NZ?

Mentioned in this post
Queenstown
Queenstown
Dunedin
Dunedin
Sydney
Sydney
California
Level Contributor
10,168 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Aukland or Not?

New Zealand is not about the cities, but the landscapes. Between Queenstown and Dunedin via the Southern Scenic Route is the Catlins. Have you considered that? . Perhaps fly into Christchurch and out of Queenstown and do a roadtrip to explore Wanaka/Aspiring National Park, or to Mt Cook and explore Aoraki Mount Cook NP.

So do you have 7-8 days total for New Zealand? What are your interests - it's a bit difficult for any of us to advise. You state in your original post, "My real interests here are Queenstown and Dunedin" - but then you follow up by saying you aren't reading positive things about Dunedin. So that's a bit confusing. Hiking? Photography? Wildlife? Nightlife? Scenic landscapes? Wineries? Adventure sports?

I'm also confused to why you will have a 12-hour time zone difference. Florida is 3 hours ahead of me, and New Zealand is 3 hours (plus one day) behind me. So that's 6 hours.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Queenstown
Queenstown
Dunedin
Dunedin
Southern Scenic Route
Southern Scenic Route
235 Reviews
Invercargill, New Zealand
Christchurch
Christchurch
Wanaka
Wanaka
Aoraki Mount Cook National Park (Te Wahipounamu)
Aoraki Mount Cook...
Mackenzie District, New Zealand
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Aukland or Not?

I guess I'm not familiar with my geography. I'm confusing NZ with Asia -lol. Still a long flight however.

As indicated in my OP, I was attempting to follow the itinerary of the tour group I was interested in. However they will be on a tour bus. I am not renting a vehicle. It appears that many of the activities I'm interested in, I can do from Queenstown. Dunedin appears to be an extension of these activities. I thought I would be interested in the Taieri Gorge Railway, however the reviews remind me of the White Pass Railway in Skagway, AK...which I found boring after 2 hours. Other than visiting penguins, I'm not sure what I can't do from Queenstown.

Mentioned in this post
Queenstown
Queenstown
Dunedin
Dunedin
Taieri Gorge Railway
Taieri Gorge Railway
1,721 Reviews
Dunedin, New Zealand
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,015 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in Aukland or Not?

Are you interested in indigenous culture at all? Rotorua in the central North Island is based upon a lot of Maori culture as well as its thermal attractions. Should you decide to stop in Auckland overnight, you could then take a Great Sights or Grayline tour coach that stops at the Waitomo Caves before reaching Rotorua. Spend 2 nights in the thermal city, before flying south from Rotorua airport to Christchurch and on to Queenstown.

If you decide to fly directly south to Queenstown as soon as you arrive into Auckland, you could spend 2 nights staying in Te Anau to visit Milford or Dusky Sound, as well as do the short lake cruise to view the glow-worms in Te Anau.

Which airport are you flying from in NZ to Australia? If its Christchurch, you could instead make your way north from Queenstown to Mt Cook for a couple of nights before reaching Christchurch.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
Waitomo Caves
Waitomo Caves
Waitomo District, New Zealand
Christchurch
Christchurch
Queenstown
Queenstown
Te Anau
Te Anau
Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in Aukland or Not?

Thank you Frangipani. I appreciate your suggestions. I would like to visit the north island, so Rotorua did spike my interest. Te Anau also sounds interesting. I guess I need to work out the transport details since I won't be renting a car. NZ appears to be a beautiful country so I would hate to rush through.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
Te Anau
Te Anau
Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,920 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay in Aukland or Not?

I have been on both the White Pass and Taieri Gorge railways. They are as different as night and day but i found White Pass far more interesting, The train rolling stock is much the same. (Pleased I got the bus one way out of Skagway and train back. The bus ride was the best bit)