We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute question!

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
883 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute question!

Well I leave the uk on sunday for 3.5 weeks in NZ, and have a few, albeit daft, last minute questions!

1) immigration/customs - is this rather like oz where you have to declare pretty much anything to be safe? I'll be bringing enough pain killers with me for the trip - bad fracture and complications of ankle at christmas (was hoping to be all fixed by now, but not quite). I assume these need to be declared, do I also need a letter from dr or are the meds acceptable in their original container with my name/pharmacy details on?

same goes for food - meeting up with an old colleague and he's missing a few things from here, namely of the chocolate varierty ...

2) Tipping - I understand that this is not typical? I'll be having assistance in the airport due to my hindered walking ability, and I expect I shall have to ask someone to take my bags to my room when i get to auckland too - mate not arriving for a couple of days after me - staying in City Life. Would be correct/incorrect to tip someone who did this? And if its correct, what sort of amount? - dont want to do the wrong thing either way!

3) Really daft question now! - women eating on their own in the evenings - good or bad? I'm used to eating in the hotel on my own when i'm away for business, but not really used to venturing into town for this. In some places i've been its really not the "done" thing, or isn't the safest of things. Any opinions?!

Told you they were daft! Thanks, now, back to hunting for my gloves!!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute question!

Hi

I'll try and answer your questions as you have asked them:

1. You will be asked on your customs and immigration form Are you carrying drugs? Be honest and have them handy for inspection if required. Also have a copy of your Doctors prescrition with you for inspection. If you are upfront and honest you will have no problems.

If your meds are in their original containers all the better.

2. Food: This is a very touchy point with our quarantinr people. Again on your customs form you will be asked if you are carrying food. Any non disclosed food found is confisgated and you will receive a $200 instant fine. Commercial chocolate and candy are not a problem to be imported, just declare them along with any other food you may have. Certain food types are prohibited

More details can be found on NZ Customs website: www.customs.govt.nz

3. Tipping is not normal in NZ for normal service, although that is becoming less so. If you find the need of a porter, a couple of dollars would not be frowned upon. If the bags are very heavy and it is of great benefit to you a little more may not be out of place.

4. If you are eating by yourself in your hotel or downtown in a nice restaurant or eatery you should have no problems. You can expect to enjoy your meal with respect and in private without any fear of untoward interuption.

Mike from Wellington

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute question!

NZ and Australia have fairly similar customs regulations. Prescription medicins are OK, but you should declare them. What they are after is illegal drugs, and these are often packaged in pill form. A doctors letter would be a good idea, particularly if you have a large quantity of the painkillers. Anything containing Ephedrine is likely to be looked at closely, as it is used for making PsuedoEphedrine, or "P".

You should declare ALL food items. Most confectionary is OK, including Chocolate. Anything containing meat, or animal products is a absolute No No.

Tipping is not the norm, however it is becoming more common, particularly in the service industries. Normally you would only tip for exceptional service. 'Good" service is expected, and would not normally warent a tip. It is fairly common to tip the porter for taking your bags to your room. Don't know why this should be.

There is definitely no stigma attached to women eating on their own, however you should exercise normal caution when venturing out alone at night. I'm not familliar with "City Life", but if it is located in a busy well lit area you would be OK. There are parts of Auckland where it is not safe for a woman to be on the street alone

3. Re: Last minute question!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 23:18