We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand’s Top Tourist Highlights Recognised

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,250 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
New Zealand’s Top Tourist Highlights Recognised

Not sure whether we should cringe with the outcome of this :) The Warehouse????????? Puulease..........

www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU0707/S00081.htm

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand’s Top Tourist Highlights Recognised

Must be something in it, though. My wife frequents Crazy Clarks and Silly Sollies in Australia. Can't understand why The Warehouse didn't take on there. Did you hear Ngai Tahu are going to start up in opposition to The Warehouse. They are going to cal it Te WareWhare. (Ok, it's a lame joke, and 99.9% of readers won't get it, but I think it's funny)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,250 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand’s Top Tourist Highlights Recognised

:) haha that's not very PC vbc!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,250 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Zealand’s Top Tourist Highlights Recognised

Yeah but vbc how do you feel about the Zorb winning- hopefully this country is not heading the way of others where man-made attractions surpass natural beauty.

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Zealand’s Top Tourist Highlights Recognised

I would say the natural beauty of NZ WAY WAY out strips the possibilities for shopping...................

I would go as far too say that I thought the clothes shops in NZ were dire! and the fashion over there at the time was terrible..........aslas its reached the UK now too LOL

Jewels

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Zealand’s Top Tourist Highlights Recognised

I can't believe Auckland was voted favourite region!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,250 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Zealand’s Top Tourist Highlights Recognised

In it's defence kiwigirl, Auckland does cover a very diverse area and there really are some beautiful beaches, lots of isolated spots, the ranges north and south plus the harbour but I'm sure 99% of the voters wouldn't have visited those! :)

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Zealand’s Top Tourist Highlights Recognised

Zappers. I think there is definitely a place for man made attractions, in fact I would say that overall the vast majority of popular tourist icons are man made. It's going to make it tough for future travellers, though. "Shall we go to Egypt for the Pyramids, France for the Eifel Tower, or New Zealand for the Warehouse? Hmmmm----"

Milford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
425 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Zealand’s Top Tourist Highlights Recognised

Oh yeah . . . I'm gonna spend a grand or two on a ticket, hop on a plane(s) for 18 hours or so to . . . . go shopping! What a deal.

Consider the source of this highly sophisticated (I'm sure) survey, an advertisement loaded travel magazine - recognized by a government (as with any government) responsible for keeping the economy growing. Can anybody say "self-serving?"?

Actually, I considered the survey results to be very good news for us, since practically none of the "winners" or finalists are in any of our top 10 lists. (Do like Steinlager's though) Means we'll still be able to enjoy the NZ we love w/o elbowing our way through to the front of the line for many years to come and continue to spend the $7000 or so per trip on all of those poor "losers" scattered around the country.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,018 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Zealand’s Top Tourist Highlights Recognised

I blame biased inbound tourist operators taking backhanders from Aucklanders, Rotoruans and Queenstowners. If they were really honest they would bring more peole to Wellington and Te Papa and the cable car and so many other No 1 attractions too numerous to mention.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,250 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Zealand’s Top Tourist Highlights Recognised

Yeah right bean!