We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip planning stage

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
487 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Trip planning stage

Have thoroughly enjoyed all the boards...but still have questions planning the trip of a life!! Looking at booking air travel as follows....

arriving in Sydney Jan 30th.....leaving for Auckland March 20th....departing April 4th. Here are some specific requests if you would be so kind...

Are we avoiding the "busy holiday" times...that is, can we travel with some flexibility - not all pre-booked???

Are there any weather concerns, as we definitely want to dive at the GBR?? We prefer warmer temps...leaving snow behind!!

We tentatively have 6 weeks to cover the eastern half of Australia - is this realistic?? (we'll use flights to move around for the most part)

Is 17 days ample time to see much of NZ??

We've waited many years to make this trip so will be open to all input and thank you in advance!!

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
394 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip planning stage

Good evening, Canuck50. Much like you, we are planning our "trip of a lifetime" (aren't they all?) to NZ and Fiji for this October. We were to NZ in 03 for a week - first time - and loved it so much that we are going back. We have 21 days there and I think we will see much, but not all.

From what I can tell yes, you are avoiding the real peak times. We will not prebook anything other than, possibly, the day of arrival or departure and even then I don't think so.

Where are you from? We're just outside of Thunder Bay.

In our first trip there we hit Hot Water Beach - amazing, and worth a stop.We enoyed Gisbourne (we're big wine buffs) but it was a bit of a jaunt to get there. Coromandel definitely worth a visit.

Enjoy!

Late Day Traveller.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
394 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip planning stage

Sorry Canuck50, forgot to say - on that 03 trip we spent 3 weeks in Australia as well - Brisbane area - 5 days in a conference - rest of the time moving about. 3 weeks certainly was NOT enough tho I suspect 6 weeks might be. There was such a lot to do and see. Mt. Tambourine, and surrounding area, was beautiful as was the resort on Moreton (sp?) Island resort - if you can swing it it is definitely worth a few days, tho not cheap. As with everything it depends on what you enjoy doing on vacation. Sandy and I enjoy beaches, looking for shells, and talking to people. She also enjoys shopping but we won't go there!

Late Day Traveller