We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Campervan or not to Campervan

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
To Campervan or not to Campervan

Hello!

Me and my wife (soon to be get married on 8th Dec) are heading to Oz and NZ for our honeymoon. After spending New Year in Sydney we arrive in Christchurch on 3rd Jan and plan to travel round NZ for 3 weeks.

The only accomodation I have booked so far is in the Bay of Islands for 3 nights at the end of our holiday (nice beachfront villa to relax in ) but for the rest of the time we want to see and do as much as possible.

I've been reading up on various websites (including this one) about the best ways to travel and places to stay and wanted to gauge what people thought about:

1. Hiring a Campervan OR

2. Hiring a car and staying in B&B's etc..

I've heard this is the busiest time of the year for travelling round so thought that a Campervan was the best idea but then I've read that even with a Campervan you will need to stay in designated Camp Sites which are still likely to be busy..

Any suggestions?

Also - would people recommend that we book Accomodation for 3-4 days at a time in different locations (in advance) and then base ourselves there - going off doing different day trips or are we best to keep on moving to cut out unecessary travelling back and forward etc..

Thanks very much

Lee and Michelle

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Campervan or not to Campervan

If you are interested in staying in B & Bs you might find www.bnb.co.nz helpful as it lists many B & Bs. Look for the @home sign. This means these B & Bs have been inspected within the last two years. Staying in one place for 3-4 days often allows a bit more relaxation and you can certainly use some places as 'hubs' for day trips. Just one example is Rotorua where you could fit in a Maori hangi and concert; visit thermal areas; take a day trip to White Island, a volcanic island off the coast at Whakatane; go tandem skydiving, zorbing, luging,walk scenic tracks,kayaking, rafting, mountain bike riding, horseback riding all in around Rotorua; make a day trip to the Waitomo glow worm caves; travel to Tauranga and Mt Maunganui......and that is only a few suggestions. Queenstown is also a good place to use as a base for day adventures.

January is school holiday time and also when many New Zealanders have their annual holidays so it would pay to do most of your bookings soon.

Hope the wedding is just the start to a memorable honeymoon!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Campervan or not to Campervan

Thanks Valgee - I'll have a look on the B&B Website..

Other than Rotorua and Queenstown where else would be a good base?

I definitley want to spend a couple of days at Milford Sound - where's the best place to stay round there?

3. Re: To Campervan or not to Campervan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 09:20