We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discount on Activities

New Zealand
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Discount on Activities

We are going to be traveling the South Island over the next two weeks and we would like to do a few of the expensive activities such as whale watching, glacier helicopter flights etc.

As a family of 4 these become quite expensive.

Does anybody know of a booking agent who offers discounted rates on booking these type of activities?

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discount on Activities

I wouldn't get too excited about getting a discount on helicopter flights, however many other activities offer family discounts, and you can get some great rates on accommodation in the low season.

Real Journeys have 'Kids Go Free" on some of their trips during school holidays. so you might be lucky there.

If you rent a car or van you will probably get a book of discount vouchers, and these can give you substantial savings. Unfortunately I have always found the vouchers are for something i have no interest in doing, or can't do for some other reason. There are also activity guides & "Wot's On" guides which contain discount vouchers.

Expensive activities tend to be expensive because they cost a lot to run, and in most cases the cost reflects the true cost of operating.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discount on Activities

It is off season, at the moment so there will be a lot of great deals available. dont be afraid to ask for the best possible rate however I advise you to deal directly with the operator if you want a discount over and beyond the normal rate. You may be pleasantly surprised as by speaking with the operator directly it is easier for them to give you a discount if they are not also paying a commission to an agent as well.

It is more difficult in the planning, but be spontaneous, as for the best they can offer and just do it

have an awesome holiday and drive safely. there is a lot more snow and ice on the roads now

3. Re: Discount on Activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 23:20