We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base stations

Singapore
Level Contributor
247 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Base stations

My family would like to use some 'base stations' as stopovers for 2-3 nights and visit the respective places of interests as we move from North to South Islands. Can an expert please advise if my choice of base stations are good in terms of drive journey and activities within the base areas, in order:

Auckland

Bay of Islands

Rotorua

(where to stopover between Rotorua and Wellington?)

How to cross over from North to South Island

Christchurch

Queenstown

(Which lake to stopover)

(any other before we return to Christchurch for return flight?)

Thank you for your kind assistance!

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base stations

The drive from Bay of Islands to Rotorua will take you 7-8 hours. A very long day driving. You may like to think about a stop before Rotorua. The Coromandel or Tauranga for a night would give you the chance to see more of the north Island. Both are popular tourist destinations.

From Rotorua, I would stop at Taupo, or Napier. Taupo is 1 hour from Rotorua. Napier 2.30 hours from Rotorua. Taupo has the largest lake in NZ. If you stop in Taupo, you could do a trout fishing charter and have a restaurant cook your trout for you. this is a real treat.

Cross from the north to south Island on the interIslander ferry. You could drop your car in Wellington and pick up another in Picton. This would save you some money as you would not be paying to take a car over. Make you crossing in the morning so you can enjoy the scenery and have the afternoon to reach your next destination. If you plan to drive from Picton to Christchurch. It will take you 4 hours. You will arrive early evening. If you have time to break your trip when you leave Picton. Kaikoura would be a good place to stop.

The best place to try NZ crayfish ( Lobster )

Singapore
Level Contributor
247 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base stations

I forgot to mention that this is for 1-15 of Dec with 3 children.

How long does it take to drive from Auckland to Bay of Islands? we intend to drive there upon flight arrival i.e.

Auckland airport to Bay (2 nites)

Bay to Auckland (1 night?)

A to Rotorua (2)

Taupo or Napier (1)

How long is drive from Napier to Interland ferry?

Cross over to south

From Picton, which is the best route without having to backtrack to Christchurch?

Is Lake wanaka or Lake te anau better as base station (any trout fishing like taupo?)

<probably Queenstown 2 nites, Christchurch 2 nites, Lake xx 2 nites, is it enough or do we miss something?>

Thank you.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Base stations

Depending upon how fast you drive (and remembering the roads are a bit windy in the North) the drive from Auckland to Bay of Islands is 3:30 to 4:00 long. You would not want to rush anyway as you will want to see the route along the way.

The drive from Napier to the Ferry terminal is approx 4:00 to 4:30 depending again on how fast you travel. Again parts of this route are windy so take the road with care.

auckland
Level Contributor
56 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Base stations

@ TrueSingaporean

I wouldnt recommend u drive from Aucks to Bay of Islands and then drive the same day to Rotorua. It would be very tiring cos u gonna b travelling up north and then way down the N. Island. I suggest you take a day trip to the Bay of Islands and then come back to Aucks, and then next day you could drive to Rotorua and that shouldnt take you more than 3.5 hours

I also suggest you have a look at the website: www.aatravel.co.nz/main/td-calculator.php

Gives you clear info abt kms and the time it takes to get from A to B.

I'm not too sure where you could stop between Rotorua and Wellington, possibly Taupo. And I think you should see Lake Taupo cos I remember this saying when i visited Sing "Singapore is so small that it can easily fit into lake taupo in n.z."..anyways, if u going over to s.island, i would recommend u take the inter islander ferry from welly to blenheim and also do the train journey from christchurch to greymouth..amazing scenery!

Also while you are in S. Island, it is worth driving down to Milford Sound and doing the cruise there

Have a good trip!

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Base stations

I would tend to add TeAnau as a two night stay rather than doing such a long haul from Queenstown to visit Milford sound. Makes sence when you consider that you are on holiday, should be relaxing, and traffic, roads etc can be chalanging when you consider the anount of distraction that exist.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,170 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Base stations

I would stay overnight in Auckland. You have a minimum of a 3 hour drive from Auckland to The Bay and if you in anyway puffed after your flight you would be a danger to yourselves and others on the road.

Iy may seem like you are losing precious time off your holiday but in the end you will grateful for the stopover.

Because you are going to spend 2 -3 days stopover in Rotorua I would make the trip from Bay of Islands to Rororua in one stint, providing you stop every couple of hours for a break.

The trip direct to Wellington is around 6 hours again, travellable in a day. It depends very much on what short trips you are planning out of Rotorua.

Take the ferry across the ditch and again go no further south than Christchurch ( a five hour trip)

Queenstown is another 7 hour trip from CHristchurch allowing for stops along the way. A break in Tekapo is a must. If you divert to Mt Cook the trip will be longer.

Queenstown the adrenaline capital of the world - You can take a day trip to Milford or overnight there - If you have the time do it, its a long tiring day otherwise.

Returning to Christ church you can turn right at Omarama and come up the East Coast as an alternate return to CHCH.

Singapore
Level Contributor
247 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Base stations

Does anybody know a website where we could plot and plan our driving routes in New Zealand?

We used the mapquest for our trip to USA and it was really excellent.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,170 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Base stations

Try www.wises.co.nz

Singapore
Level Contributor
247 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Base stations

With 12 full days, we plan to have 4 main stopovers 3D/2N (Auckland, Rotorua, Christchurch, Queenstown) as we travel fr N to S. To break the journey in between long drives, please suggest which of these we absolutely should stopover and which can we afford to skip (during Dec) ?

Bay of islands

Tauranga

Taupo

Waitomo (Caves)

Wellington

Kaikoura

Greymouth

Kaikoura

Te Anau

Thanks again!

10. Re: Base stations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 15:17