We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone tell me about travelling to UK with laptop....

Auckland
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Can anyone tell me about travelling to UK with laptop....

Can anyone tell me about travelling to UK with laptop with access to a free BT broadband connection at a rented apartment.

Is it just a matter of plugging in (so they tell me !) & connecting with ethernet cable to whatever they have or will I need to load any software or change any settings on my PC before I go in order to access the internet over there? Anyone know ? ( Wireless sounds too hard !!)

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone tell me about travelling to UK with laptop....

Hi Flo

I think you may need to check this with however you are renting the apartment from............

Depends who the service provider at the apartment is in which case you may have to obtain software to download onto your laptop. i.e: I am on Virgin Media which I needed to download software to use it. I connect to the internet via a broadband modem and ethernet cable.

There are several providers here: BT, Virgin Media, Orange etc. You need to know which provider is available and then contact them.

There are several Internet Cafe's that offer WiFi service but do beware of hackers being able to access your laptop whilst you are on line.

Hope that helps.............a little anyway

Jewels

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone tell me about travelling to UK with laptop....

As a general rule you should not have to use special software to access broadband. If you are currently using a broadband connection (through Xtra or Clear etc) your current settings should be OK. If you are on a private network, at work for example, you may be set up to use a fixed network address. In this case you will have to change your settings. Here's a quick guide to doing this.

Open Control Panel, & click on 'Network Connections

Under LAN or High Speed Internet, click on your adaptor icon and select 'Properties"

Highlight "Internet Proticol (TCP/IP) and select "Properties"

Make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" is checked

Make sure "Obtain a DNS server address automatically" is checked.

(Before doing this it would pay to write down the existing settings in case you want to change back at any time)

Click OK until you are back at the Control Panel, and close it.

All going well you will get a message that "Adaptor XYZ is connected". Otherwise you will probably get a message that a cable is disconnected,

Open your browser (Internet Explorer etc)

What happens from now depends on the server you are conected to. Most likely you will get the Hotel welcome screen, asking for a user name & password, or your credit card details, or if it is a free connection you might go straight to your own home page (Xtra for example). From that point you just browse normally, For mail you will have to use your ISP's webmail server, rather than Outlook, or Outlook Express. Click on the Mail icon in your browser. You will have to enter your user name and password. THis is your personal username etc, not a name and password which may have been assigned to you by the Hotel etc.

It is possible that you will be able to receive mail using Outlook, Outlook Express etc, however you will not be able to send mail with these programs. THe reason for this is that ISP's will not relay outgoing mail, and to send mail you will need a mail account with the local service provider (BT for example) which you will not have. By using Webmail you circumvent this requirement. This is exactly the same as if you were receiving your mail at an internet cafe.

In 99% of cases you will just plug in and go. Wireless is similarly easy, but you should try this out before you leave home. Many wireless access points are scatered around most cities, airports etc. Starbucks usually have wireless access, and sometimes it's free.

Happy traveling.

3. Re: Can anyone tell me about travelling to UK with laptop....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 21:20