We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any ideas on accomodation between Auckland and Taupo?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Any ideas on accomodation between Auckland and Taupo?

We are arriving by plane from the S Island in Auckland on a Sunday at 7pm. I would like to make a bit of headway towards Taupo to cut down on the driving time the next day.

We need a double room and a single. I don't want to drive for more than a couple of hours if possible. Any decent accomodation will do either rural or town as it's just for sleeping and will be heading off earlyish the next morning. Any ideas please?

Thanks for your help!

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any ideas on accomodation between Auckland and Taupo?

Hi

We found this site really useful for booking accomodation (havent arrived yet so cant comment on what any of the accomodation is like from personal experience) www.nzmotels.co.nz

The site has an interactive map so you can pick the area you want to stay and then enter dates etc. We have found that most of the motels have 1 or 2 bedroom apartments and due to the good exchange rate with the £ the cost is really good compared to similar accomodation over here!

Have a wonderful time

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any ideas on accomodation between Auckland and Taupo?

Thanks for that, I had'n't seen that site and it looks really useful!

I've only found these forums recently and everyone's help is going to make our trip! 6 weeks to go for us!

Hope you have a great time too!

Thanks

Kiwi in the Cooks
Level Contributor
559 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Any ideas on accomodation between Auckland and Taupo?

Hi,

Matamata is a lovely rural town about two hours from Auckland.

Stay at the Broadway motel and have breakfast at Sid's cafe(award winner)'

Tipani

Kiwi in the Cooks
Level Contributor
559 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any ideas on accomodation between Auckland and Taupo?

Hi,

Whoops!!

Sid's cafe is called Workmans

Tipani

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,080 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any ideas on accomodation between Auckland and Taupo?

Taupo is only a 3 1/2 hour drive from Auckland. Why not remove the stress and stay near the airport on arrival and get off early in the morning. A 6 am start will have you in Taupo for breakfast.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any ideas on accomodation between Auckland and Taupo?

Thanks for your thoughts, you've given me something to think about there. We have a few weeks yet and no doubt I'll change my mind a few times yet!

Thanks again

7. Re: Any ideas on accomodation between Auckland and Taupo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 07:22