We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6.8 earthquake damages Gisborne

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
6.8 earthquake damages Gisborne

Three buildings collapsed, power out, roads blocked-

www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6.8 earthquake damages Gisborne

Sorry to hear that Zappers. Just heard about it on the News here. Trust there are no casualties.

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6.8 earthquake damages Gisborne

Sorry to hear that.

I just hope everybody is safe.

Material damages could be repaired but not human lives

Jose

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6.8 earthquake damages Gisborne

WOW Zappers, What a great Christmas present. What was it like where you are??

Hope it doesn't set off quakes further down the fault. We are only 60km from it in Te Anau, and get our share of good ones. Fortunately nothing which brings buildings down, yet, but who knows??

Our last good one, in 2003, was 7.1. Certainly concentrates the mind.

We have a receptionist who is paranoid about quakes. She will be a shaking mess just with the though of it. Fortunately she is off for a pre xmas break, so might have recovered her composure by Monday :-)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6.8 earthquake damages Gisborne

Well having been brought up in Napier, I've had my fair share of earthquakes- big ones too but this was the biggest I've felt in Tauranga for a very long time. It was a real jolt and then a "long" rolling motion. The water in our ponds was sloshing from side to side, the lights swinging for ages after it finished and the cats racing around mad as just before it hit. Certainly gave us all a fright, made worse by the heavy rain and thunderstorm that happened right after it.

Felt the aftershock this morning too, not too bad at 4.3 but senses are on high alert.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6.8 earthquake damages Gisborne

Stange how the hysteria level in the press rises as a function of population density.

Our 7.1 was reported locally as "Early morning quake jolts Fiordland". Your 6.8 was 'Huge quake hits Gisborne, Buildings collapse, holes apear in streets". I suppose the fact that no buildings collapsed in ours made it less newsworthy, but they could have got a little more excited :-(

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6.8 earthquake damages Gisborne

Yes, we felt it in Greymouth, rattled things about a wee bit.

the fault line is about 30 kilomtres from here and i cross it almost every day.

we are better with lots of small quakes than the BIG ONE hitting.

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6.8 earthquake damages Gisborne

Oh my gosh! My friend is in Gisbourne visiting her son.....

I there was I singing the praises and saying she wouldn't want to come home!

Jewels

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6.8 earthquake damages Gisborne

Well Jewels she'll certainly have a story to tell. It was a bad one and a lot of local people have never felt such a strong one. Alot of damaged buildings in the CBD and a dozen or so family homes uninhabitable.

9. Re: 6.8 earthquake damages Gisborne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 05:27