Hi all NZ experts - your assistance please !
Having talked about experiencing Christmas and New Year on the other side of the world for the last few years, we're biting the bullet and going for it this year!! I want to start planning now and need your help with suggestions/advice/recommendations.
We will be a family of 4, Mum & Dad (young at heart mid 40's) 2 daughters who will be 23 and 19. As a quick overview, we love spectacular scenery, wildlife, sea, beaches,live music (rock,indie,dance)pubs, clubs, food, drink, shopping, socialising, football, travel and history/culture.
Not so keen on classical ballet, theatre, vineyards, cricket, walking/hiking miles, basic accomodation and isolation!
Due to work constraints we can only take 3 weeks holiday and wish to go end Dec 2008 spending Christmas and New year in NZ and returning to the UK Jan 2009.
1. Will this give us enough time to visit both Islands?
2. Flights - airlines, prices - Is Singapore Airlines really the best - How do Cathay Pacific, Emirates and Air new Zealand compare both on quality/service and price ?
3. Suggested itinerary or must see places for maximum wow effect !Should we fly in and start in Aukland ?
4.Cost of living compared to UK ?
5. Would we be mad hiring a luxury campervan to travel/sleep in whilst touring or are hotels/motels a better option?
6. Is NZ safe to travel - Are there 'no go' areas
for naive 'Brits' to avoid?
7. Any poisonous snakes/spiders etc to worry about?
8. Temp in Dec/Jan and clothing to suit
9. Anything else we must do/ should know
Thanks in advance