We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fjordland with preschoolers?

Boston
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fjordland with preschoolers?

We will be in New Zealand for 18 days in April, traveling with four kids under 5 years old. Would you recommend Fjordland/Milford Sound with little ones or would it be difficult? Would we get to see much? Given that we will fly into Auckland, and have to assess the hassle of traveling too far, what itinerary/destinations would you recommend for travel with preschoolers?

Lower Hutt, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fjordland with preschoolers?

Oh my gosh, four children. The scenery is very beautiful but with all the driving (hours)I dont think kids would really appreciate it - boring for them. You would be better to do kid things like the zoo in Auckland, the gondolas and luge in Rotorua, Te Papa in Wellington.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,996 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fjordland with preschoolers?

If you are down South you should certainly include Fiordland. but I wouldn't recomend travelling all the way from Auckland with 4 kids just to see it.

With 18 days you will have time to do have a look around most of the country, both North & South island. The usual split is 2/3 South to 1/3 North, but with kids you might be better spending more time in the North where there are more things which might interest them. South island is mostly about scenery, and in my experience kids aren't too impressed by mountains & lakes.

Rotorua, with the Luge, Zorbing, etc, Kelly Tarlton's and MOTAT in Auckland & Te papa in Wellington. Probably lots more. Zappers will probably gove you better ideas.

whangarei heads
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fjordland with preschoolers?

I would recommend with preschoolers, having 2 of my own, is to split your time between

- Auckland (Zoo, Kelly Tarltons, Motat & Western Springs, Mission Bay, Butterfly Farm, day trips to Waitakere Ranges. There are lots of beaches around Auckland and Waitakere that the children will find great fun exploring

and

- Rotorua (lurge, Agrodome, Rainbow Springs and Rainbow Farm Show) A friend of my went to Rotorua recently with her 4 kids (under 5) and they had a great time there, lots to do for the kids.

and

- either Coromandel or Bay of Islands, lots of beaches to explore in these areas and also some amazing coastal scenery.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fjordland with preschoolers?

Rather you than me! Here's a website that has dozens of family activities all over NZ. Lots of animal petting farms and farm based activities that the kids will enjoy.

tourism.net.nz/attractions-and-activities/fa…

5. Re: Fjordland with preschoolers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 22:18