We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiwi in the wild?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Kiwi in the wild?

Does anyone know where we can go to see Kiwi in the wild? I know there are 'Kiwi houses' dotted around NZ, but we would like to (try) see them in wild habitat if possible!

Thanks!

Auckland
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiwi in the wild?

Stewart Island is the only place I can think of. They come out at night on a beach there. Or, go camping deep within good bush & keep your ears peeled. I have camped NZ for years, and never seen one in the wild. They are extremely well camoflaged for the bush, you wouldn't see one if it was beside you at night. Check the Kea (alpine parrot) instead - they will find you and are perhaps the most interesting bird in NZ.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiwi in the wild?

Thanks, will try Stewart Island as I've heard it a pretty beautiful place anyway, as for kiwis - may have to see them in kiwi houses after all...

Kea - are they the ones that rip plastic bits off your cars...?

Thanks again!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiwi in the wild?

And the rubbers around your car windows. I would go and see kiwi in a kiwi house. The chances of seeing them in the wild are slim.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiwi in the wild?

It'll be very hard to see them in the wild.

I have heard wild kiwi's at night on the road between Taihape and Napier (gentle annie road) when camping.

I too would reccommend you go see a kiwi in a kiwi house.

If you are going to Christchurch, Willowbank Wildlife reserve has a great kiwi house. It's set up like they are in the wild, plus they'll be awake as the lights are dim. (They are a nocturnal bird)

www.willowbank.co.nz

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiwi in the wild?

Hi

There are 2 places that I know of where you can go on organised night walks to (maybe) see kiwis.

One is Stewart Island, the other is Trounson Kauri Forest in Northland.

See link below to the website for the TOP 10 Holiday Park there, that organise these walks.

www.kauricoasttop10.co.nz/kauricoasttop10.htm

They do regularly see kiwis on this night walk, but there are no guarantees of course !!

NZ
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kiwi in the wild?

Kia ora

Yes you are very very unlikely to get lucky and see wild kiwi, although you could easily hear them in the right places.

Unfortunately up this way some people do see them crossing the road at night: there have been a few killed recently.

Tauranga
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kiwi in the wild?

Hi Dan

Check this out. www.tiritirimatangi.org.nz. Tiritirimatangi is an island sanctuary in the Hauraki Gulf. Ferries leave for the island from downtown Auckland. Family have stayed on the island and the bird life is extraordinary, and yes they saw kiwi. Stay a night there.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kiwi in the wild?

Thanks ccsr! Will have look and add it to our itinery!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kiwi in the wild?

You may also like to check out our Kapiti Coast Nga Manu Sanctuary.Kiwis, other bird life, tuataras etc.

And offshore is Kapiti Island, a whole nature reserve teeming with native bird life.

Homestay overnight also available.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kiwi in the wild?

Whildt it is "possible" to visit places in NZ where you "may" see wild kiwi you must weigh up the importance of taking up you valuable time. If seeing a kiwi in the wild is your bent then consider the options carefully or if you just want to see a kiwi then use your time more wisely and visit a kiwi house. I would hate to hear that you made a committment to visit the wild and saw nothing and would leave disappointed.