We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working Visa

r05haw
9 posts
Save Topic
Working Visa

I am travelling to NZ in Sept & staying for a maximum of 6 months...i will be wanting to work when there. I applied for a working visa and have been accepted, i just to pay £149 and the application will be processed, would you reccomend getting one here in the UK or once im out there...? any advise greatfully received :0)

Thanks Rachel

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Working Visa

Rachael

I would ensure that you have all necessary documentation and approvals in your hot little hand before leaving home. The last thing you want to happen is that you arrive here in NZ and find that some information necessary to process your visa here has been left behind and your visa is either held up or declined. This is going to leave a bad taste in your mouth and leave an unfavourable impression ablout our country becuase you failed to do everything necessary.

NZ takes a very strong negative approach to illegal workers in this country and it is not uncommon for visas to be cancelled and the offenders removed from country in a short timeframe.

For further info I would recommend you check out the Immigation website www.immigration.govt.nz.

I hope you enjoy your working holiday in NZ

r05haw
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Working Visa

Ah thanks for your advise i will get i sorted before i travel...

Rachel

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Working Visa

Hi Rachel,

Definately get your working visa in the UK. These days the visa can be issued electronically. If you get it through the internet, print off and carry a copy with you. The airline carrying you may wish to confirm that you have a visa, and also just in case the NZ Customs/ immigration computer hiccups when you arrive.

Cheers.

whangarei heads
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Working Visa

Hi Rachel

Agree with the above. Make sure your passport has a the "Working Permit" sticker inside and that is has the correct dates of your travel. Otherwise you will be issued with a 3 mth holiday permit on arrival and may be more difficult to apply for a working visa while you are here.

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Working Visa

Are you going for a working holiday visa? If so, it should only cost you 50 pounds to apply online at

…govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/…

Obviously other work visa's may have different prices. Just wanted to check you weren't being diddled by some agency.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Working Visa

Hi Rachel,

Just to clarify to avoid confusion between a visa and a permit.

A work visa is issued either as a sticker (takes up a full page in passport) or electronically. If electronic (i.e. via computer), print off a copy of it. The visa gives the NZ Customs Officer the authority to issue a work permit for the time specified on the visa. The permit will be rubber stamped into your passport.

Working holiday visas are usually issued for periods of 11 or 12 months so make sure that your passport will be valid for well after this period .

Cheers.

r05haw
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Working Visa

I have applied online to visabureau.com for a working holiday visa...this is what costs £150...i did think it was a bit steep!!

I'm not sure what the differnce is between a visa and a permit...and which is suitable for me....i would just like to call someone to talk but online its all about emailing them....

Basically my intention is to travel around see the sights etc but work if i need to, to keep me going...

Any advise of permits & visa's gratefully received.

Thanks

Rachel

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Working Visa

Hi Rachel,

<<<<< I'm not sure what the difference is between a visa and a permit...and which is suitable for me....i would just like to call someone to talk but online its all about emailing them >>>>>

Sorry, maybe my explanation was as clear as mud. You have applied for the correct visa which is a working holiday visa. Yours is electronic so the company you applied through will send you a printout of the visa. When you arrive in NZ hand the printout, ticket, and your passport to the Customs Officer at the immigration desk. The customs officer will whack a stamp in your passport. That stamp will be a work permit.

Will send you a message with some contact details.

Cheers.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Working Visa

Rachel

If you are still confused I would recommend that you call the nearest NZ Consulate to your town or the NZ High Commission in London who will definitely be able to help.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Working Visa

I've always been a great believer in going straight to the scource. If you are applying for a visa you should deal direct with that countries embassy. If you go though an agency it will have to cost you more, and I always have a fear that they might not be legitimate. After all, what is to stop anyone from advertising a visa service, taking the money and sending a email purporting to be a visa authorisation. Perhaps I am paranoid, and I imagine there are plenty of legitimate agencies, but why bother?. Find the embassy web site, download the forms, send them away with your passports etc, and when you get your visa you will know it is legitimate.