We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campervan

scotland
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Campervan

Hi,

looking for some advice - 3(40+) females travelling in November to NZ (South Island)for 8 nights. What is best for touring around the island at that time of year car hire/motels or campervan. Also is there any must see/do on South Island.

thanks

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campervan

we have used this company twice

www.autorentals.co.nz

With only 8 nights would try to pick a Northern loop or a Southern Loop.

Northern Loop (example)

Christchurch to

Hamner Springs (hot pools) to

Kaikoura- swimming with the dolphins

Blenheim- wine area

Picton- Queen Charlotte's Walk

Nelson- Abel Tasman National Park- water taxi...

the lakes

Punakaiki Blowholes

back to Christchurh via Arthurs Pass

Southern Loop-

Christchurch to

Mount Cook to

Wanaka to

Queenstown (go via Crowns Range Road)

Te Anau to

Milford Sound

If time to

Invercargill to

Catlins (great area) to

Christchurch via Dunnedin

Enjoy!

Matt

NZ
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Campervan

Hi Koala

It's awesome to hear you are preparing a road trip in NZ - you will have such a blast!

Campervans are a cool way to explore the country as you have the freedom and flexibility to go where you want when you want to. If you will be traveling in winter though, it is essential you get a camper van which is geared up for winter road tripping. We've outlined a few things to be weary about winter road trips on our website

wildernessmotorhomes.co.nz/winter-warning/

If motels are more suitable for your type of holiday, it may be worth checking out the user reviews section on TripAdvisor as this will give you a good idea about which companies to use.

Have fun on your holiday and take care.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campervan

My suggestion for three females would be to hire a car and then motels or bed and breakfasts.

You would not have to book very far ahead if at all for November and if you look at a web site like www.wotif.com you can see the bedding arrangements of the accommodation. With three of you maybe a room or unit for all would be the best option.

Agree with either the north or south loop as you do not have time to see it all.

Enjoy your planning

Kay

Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Campervan

Hi, I would suggest hiring a car & motel/B&B for more comfort. For 8 days, you should just focus on 1 island. For me, South Island is more scenic. You could fly to Christchurch then travel down south & then fly back from Queenstown.

My suggestion:

Christchurch (don’t miss the Botanic Garden, dinner at The Mu Steak House at Christchurch City centre))

Lake Tekapo

Mount Cook

Wanaka

Te Anau

Milford Sound

Queenstown (horse riding, Sky diving!!)

I'm sure you will enjoy the beautiful country.

cheers.

Auckland
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Campervan

hi there,

I was travelling the southisland last year with my partner and we hired a Spaceship - sounds as cool as it is ;-)

A Spaceship is kind of a crossing between a car and a motorhome: They are originally cars (I think Toyota Lucidas) that the company rebuilt and included a big double bed, a cooker, chiller and really all the equipment you need for travelling around NZ.

For us it was the ideal way of travelling, as we could still camp wherever we wanted and could also save money as the rental is cheaper than for the big motor homes and also the fuel consumption is much lower!

Just have a look at their website www.spaceshipsrentals.co.nz probably it could be a nice alternative for you as well!

Have a great time in NZ!!!!

SYDNEY
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Campervan

Hi Koala21,

November is a great time of the year to see the Souht Island. Not too cold to worry you too much, and at times it can be nice and warm. I have been going there every November for the past 7 years, spending 3 weeks travelling around by motor home - so I have some idea what is like.

One point you have not stated is where you are arriving and departing the South Island from, but I would imagine it is Christchurch.

For a stay of 8 days it may be a good idea to hire a car and then stay in motels or B&Bs as has been suggested, the only problem is, as you will be doing a bit of travelling which means you will be living out of a suit case as you will need to pack and unpack daily.

If you go for the motor home option then you would only pack and unpack once. As there are 3 adults travelling you would need to go for one of the 4-5 berth or even the bigger 6 berth vans to ensure you have some comfort and space. You should also look at a camper with shower and toilet - comes in very handy at times I can tell you.

Places to see would be:

Christchurch.

Lake Tekapo - morning tea at the Mt John Obsevatory is a must for the scenery alone.

Wanaka - best town in NZ by far - sorry, but it is.

Queenstown.

Milford Sound.

I would suggest leaving the car or motor home in Queenstown and booking one of the Coach and Red Boat Charters for Milford Sound. Let someone else do the driving while you sit back and enjoy the scenery. This way you can see it all in the one day and not be too trired when you return to Queenstown.

Anyway, what ever way you go I'm sure you will have a great time, who knows we may even see each other along the way.

Enjoy,

7. Re: Campervan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 05:35
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Campervan

You're on again WanakaLakes :)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor