We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

better to fly to queenstown or christchurch for sightseeing?

kk1
seattle
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
better to fly to queenstown or christchurch for sightseeing?

Hi there! If we want to see most scenic places, like lake and mountains, which city should I fly to? Is it really cold in 9/8 to 9/15? thanks

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: better to fly to queenstown or christchurch for sightseeing?

Since you want to see lakes and mountains, I think that it is Queenstown easily. From there you would want to do Milford Sound, up to Wanaka, and even get over to Mt. Cook.

You could fly into NZ, then to Queenstown, make it your base for a couple days as you do these other activities and then fly out from there, or fly out from Christchurch. If you fly out from Christchurch, catch Mt. Cook on the way to Christchurch.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
793 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: better to fly to queenstown or christchurch for sightseeing?

For stunning scenery, fly into Queenstown - the flight in will take your breath away. Spend a couple of nights there. Drive to Te Anau and spend a couple of nights to see Milford or Doubtful Sound. Drive onto Wanaka, and spend a couple of nights, take in the amazing scenery of the Mount Aspiring National Park and perhaps do some skiing, then drive to Christchurch, perhaps stopping off at Tekapo on the way for a night.

Alternatively, you could take a combination of coach, cruise & flight trip from Queenstown to see Milford Sound which gives you an extra night to spend at Chch before you fly out.

This ensures you'll see the best of NZ lakes and mountains in such a short trip.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: better to fly to queenstown or christchurch for sightseeing?

Queenstown :)

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: better to fly to queenstown or christchurch for sightseeing?

Glenorchy :)

nj
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: better to fly to queenstown or christchurch for sightseeing?

what airline do I fly from Christchurch to QT? Is stopping and doing scenic flight in Franz Josef Glacier worth it?

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: better to fly to queenstown or christchurch for sightseeing?

Flying around Mt Cook is a popular thing to do. A Scenic flight that is good value is the flight from Queenstown or Wanaka to Milford Sound.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: better to fly to queenstown or christchurch for sightseeing?

Air NZ fly ChCH to Qtn. Qantas also, but they are pulling our and handing over to Jet Star, so I'm not sure what the situation will be with them.

If flying ChCh/Qtn you will not have the option of stopping over at Fox/Franz, or anywhere else. I't a non stop flight.

You could fly to Qtn, then get a rental and drive back to ChCh

nj
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: better to fly to queenstown or christchurch for sightseeing?

do these flight fly low enough to see the mountains or only on takeoff or landing will you see beaytiful scenery?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: better to fly to queenstown or christchurch for sightseeing?

Yes, they are commercial flights and fly reasonably high, but the views are breathtaking... weather permitting.

If it's clear you can fly over the snow capped Southern Alps and see the Tasman Sea on one side, the Canterbury Plains on the other :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
877 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: better to fly to queenstown or christchurch for sightseeing?

Hi Anthony, I took the Air NZ from Auckland to Queenstown and had a great scenic flight. It didn't fly too low, but it was enough to catch a beautiful glimpse of the countless mountains. But of course, you have to pray for sunny weather with little clouds.

Cheers,

Suying