We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposal problem!!

London
2 posts
Save Topic
Proposal problem!!

Hi,

My partner and myself are arriving in New Zealand on 29th Oct 2008 where we will be for 2 weeks and 3 days. I know it isn't the greatest amount of time to appreciate the full beauty of New Zealnad but we intend to spend most of the time in the South.

I would like help with what to do in the South island please. I intend to propose to my girlfriend and was looking for suggestions on what would be the best way to do it. I want to do a helitour with a landing and picnic and propose to her then. However, i am unsure of what tour to chose. I have heard Milford Sound is incredible but i don't know if that would be best seen from a cruise or helicopter. There are so many other options and i am so confused. I want to see Mount cook and the glaziers as well. Unsure if i should hike the glaziers or fly Mt cook and the galziers.

Basically i would like help with what would be the best way to see Milford Sound, Mount cook and the glaziers (e.g from air, hike or boat). Also the best way to incorporate my proposal into this! (e.g arrange a snow landing at milford sound helitour or at mount cook/glaziers whilst taking boat trip at mount cook).

Thanks alot for your help!

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposal problem!!

My thoughts would be to take a ski plane trip at MtCook.

Stay at the hermatige hotel (rooms up to 5 star). do it in style, then land on the Glacier in the ski plane, as you are able to get out onto the glacier this may be the simplist one to organise. maybe a descrete talk to the pilot too before hnd so he / she is up with the play too.

You could have a back up plan on the Franzjoseph Glacier and a helecopter landing.

est of luck

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposal problem!!

Hi Terry

I think a helicopter snow landing proposal sounds just perfect!

And if you're wondering where else to go on your trip, don't overlook Wanaka. It was recently named one of the ten most romantic holiday destinations in the world.

Good luck :)

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposal problem!!

That sounds so romantic. If you can pull it off I am sure your girlfriend will be blown away.

Unfortunately I have a feeling the cost might be a bit overwhelming, particularly if you want to incorporate a picnic in the snow. I imagine you don't envisage quickly setting up a table, slapping some food and wine on it, and popping the question. If you want to spend some time setting the stage, as it were, you would probably have to charter the helecopter/ski plane, whatever, and they don't come cheap.

How about a tandem bunjy jump? and pop the question as you leave the platform? Or perhaps visit the Church of the Good Shepherd, at Tekapo, and propose at the alter, with Mt Cook in the background. Dinner at the Skyline restaurant in Queenstown is a romantic setting, particularly if you can get a window table looking down on the lights of the town. Cruises are great, but romantic? not in my opinion, too many other people around. If you are into tramping you could walk to the Key Summit, or Lake Marion; two beautiful settings, and you can almost guarrentee to have it to yourselves, particularly in October. You could pack some wine, food, and a table cloth, amd some warm clothes.

Actually anywhere is romantic if you are with the right person.

Good luck.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposal problem!!

You offer some wonderful romantic possibilities vbc :)

I believe a helicopter charter here in Wanaka is NZ$1800 per hour plus gst of 12.5% However I'm pretty sure you only pay for flying time, a landing is not included in the time charged. Still, it adds up. The last charter I did was $5000 for over 3 hours with 2 landings. It was 'once in a lifetime' spectacular though :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposal problem!!

vbc you old softy you! There's life in the old dog yet eh! :)

Terry, good luck there are so many romantic places in NZ.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposal problem!!

Yeah, beneath this grizzled exterior & all that. Just hope my wife doesn't see this. I proposed to her as we were peeling spuds, and she never lets me forget it :)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposal problem!!

I think all of the above suggestions are great - mine would be to do these things but strike when you think there is the most romance. Instead of planning it, let your gut instinct tell you! You will know when the place/time is right.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proposal problem!!

Wherever you are staying, contact them and ask if they can make you a picnic hamper, if you are wanting one. A lot of hotels that have restaurants can do that as an extra.

Mt Cook ski planes is great, with landing on the tasman glacier. Not sure you can stay for a picnic though, you'll need to check on that.

http://www.mtcookskiplanes.co.nz/

Another option to throw in the mix, what about a hot air balloon?!

http://www.ballooningnz.com/

These guys have a champagne-style breakfast in the field after landing.

http://www.redballoondays.co.nz/

London
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Proposal problem!!

Thanks to everyone for your advice and encouragement! I was thinking about doing the following...

flynz.co.nz/ott_001/qtown_001/qtown_001.html

The picnic on a peak option seems just what i want. Has anyone used them before?

That then allows me to view the other South New Zealand highlights as follows(as before i was confused as to the best place to propose whilst fitting in the other sights we wanted to see)...

1. Mount cook and Fox/Franz Glaziers

tekapohelicopters.co.nz/mtcook-foxglaciers.a…

2. Milford Sound

A boat cruise (undecided which company)

What do people think of this idea?

Thanks again

London
Level Contributor
168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Proposal problem!!

Terry,

Just remmber that the unpredictable NZ weather might mean you need a back up plan, especially as November is not yet summer.

Both Milford Sound and the West coast get a LOT of rain all year round and it could be absolutely pouring down, foggy, howling winds or freezing cold in all the locations you've mentioned. Or it might be gorgeous with clear skies as far as the eye can see. "Four seasons in one day" as the song goes.

If you do get a good day at the glaciers (I prefer Franz Josef but both are great) then that would be a spectacular location for a flight and landing at the top. Would suggest the picnic idea overcomplicates things. Maybe a bottle of champagne to celebrate the moment and then a fab romantic dinner that evening?

The Lake Tekapo suggestion is a good one on a lovely day - a bit desolate on a rainy one. Lake Matheson (south of the glaciers) on a clear day is also chocolate box stuff.

Also remember driving in NZ can be long and tiring. From the glaciers to Wanaka is a long way on narrow, windy roads. We did a glacier walk in the morning and left after lunch - didn't get to Wanaka until after 9pm and were knackered! The glacier walks are amazing on a good day - magical colours and shapes in the ice and incredible to be on it - like a Narnia wonderland. Don't even think about it on a bad day - scary and cold!

If the weather decides to be uncoperative whilst you are on the West Coast/Mt Cook etc then I'd suggest you postpone the big event. In the 2 weeks you are there NZ will defintely offer a location and moment that will feel just right.

I know you may want/need to plan in advance but if you can be flexible that might be better. I think proposals can be like weddings - overplanning or wanting it to be "perfect" can mean it might feel more of a anti-climax if it doesn't quite go as you'd imagined in your head. A bit of spontanaeity will make it more exciting for both of you and prevent any niggly feeling of disappointment if the weather lets you down.

Have a fabulous trip!