We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Sound Helicopter Ride

South Wales
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Milford Sound Helicopter Ride

Hi all,

Three weeks to go and we are flying to NZ I am so excited now!! I have been considering the possibility of doing a helicopter ride over/around Milford Sound as a surprise for my hubby. Has anybody ever done this and would they recomend it? or do you think we will experience Milford Sound just as well from the ground? Your comments and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford Sound Helicopter Ride

I've only done the cruise on two occasions(one day time & one staying on the Milford Mariner overnight) The day time cruises tend to get a bit crowded and you loose the mystical feel that you get on the quiter evening/overnight cruise. Plus you get to kayak at dusk, no experience necessary. That's an awsome feeling! The helicopter would be great but it would probably be over all too soon. Depends what perspective you're after. The view from above or feeling the massive power of the place, looking up at the towering cliff faces drenched in countless waterfalls.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,442 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford Sound Helicopter Ride

Milford Sound by air is awesome. The helicopter goes out to sea then flies up the Sound giving a whole new dimension to the grandeur.

You can take a helicopter from Wanaka or Queenstown and so you experience quite a bit of the snow capped mountains too. If your budget permits include Sutherland Falls on the trip... totally brilliant :)

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford Sound Helicopter Ride

I agree with wanaka lakes, the flight over the alps will be something you will always remember.

I think that would be a really nice surprise.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milford Sound Helicopter Ride

Milford Helecopters http://www.milfordsoundhelicopters.com/

operate from the Milford Sound Airfield. If you are intending to drive to Milford Sound then this would be your best option.

If you decide to fly from Queenstown you should try to get a fly/coach package. The drive from Te Anau to Milford Sound is a fantastic experience and should not be missed. As you will be here soon there will still be snow in the Hollyford valley and it will be absolutely beautiful. You are so lucky to be seeing Milford at it's best.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milford Sound Helicopter Ride

Any flight at all over Fiordland National Park is going to be a highlight of your trip to NZ. Agree with previous post the best all round option is the Coach/Cruise/Fly trip from Queenstown. Travel into Milford on a tour coach, get the commentary and enjoy possibly the most scenic drive in New Zealand, cruise on Milford Sound and then fly out to Queenstown. However there is a catch, the flights are canceled on an extremly regular basis (due to weather) meaning your have a long coach ride back to Queenstown. Milford Helicopters only have 2 machines to my knowledge but do offer flybacks to Queenstown, however they are extremly popular and need to be booked well in advance. Helicopter flights offer one distinct advantage over fixed wing aircraft and that is that they can land in remote alpine areas. Almost all flights to or from Milford Sound include a landing somewhere along the way.

If you have a few spare day's in the Queenstown/Wanaka area then you can arrange a Milford flight at short notice with any one of the several operators located in each town.

South Wales
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Milford Sound Helicopter Ride

Thank you all for your comments.

I'm really undecided as to what to do. Milford Sound was the one thing that I insisted was included on our tour and I really don't want to mess it up. We have a whole day to spend there (driving up from Te Anau) and I just want it to be perfect. I just can't decide whether I want to risk the possibility of being disappointed if the helicopter ride is cancelled. Sorry, I'm thinking out loud here - lol!

If I decide not to take the helicopter ride what would you all suggest that I do instead? Do I have a lot of options?!

Thanks again

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milford Sound Helicopter Ride

You will have a wonderful day at Milford Sound, regardless of whether you do the helicopter ride or not. After all, most visitors to Milford do not take any sort of flight, and they all have a fabulous day (well most of them, anyway)

If you can do a chopper flight it would be the icing on the cake, but don't let any lack of icing spoil your enjoyment of the cake.

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Milford Sound Helicopter Ride

If you don't want to take away from your actual time in Milford Sound then you might want to consider taking the scenic flight from Queenstown. We did this one afternoon while in Queenstown and it was only at most a couple of hours. We went with Over the Top Helicopters back and forth from the airport in Queenstown. We stopped and had drinks and snack on a glacier. The photo opportunities were fantastic.

9. Re: Milford Sound Helicopter Ride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 15:18