We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do the geysers and springs get turned off at Easter?(Nth Is)

australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Do the geysers and springs get turned off at Easter?(Nth Is)

I'm joking..however I've just realised it will be Good Friday when we fly to Auckland. We only intend to stay 3-5 days in the Nth Island, before heading Sth for 2+ weeks. We plan to fly South from Rotorua.

We plan to go to Rotorua, Waitomo Caves and Taupo, probably staying a night at each.I imagine many facilities will be closed Friday and Easter Sunday, so which is the best way to do the loop pls? ie would be leaving Auckland on Saturday. Will there be access to geysers, springs, caves etc in this time?? Does it mean the Maori cultural events/hangis are closed?

Thanks for your advice.

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do the geysers and springs get turned off at Easter?(Nth Is)

Currently, only 15 areas in New Zealand have exemptions to trade on Easter Sunday. They include Queenstown and Taupo.

Tourism minister Damien O'Connor admits Easter trading laws are a "dog's breakfast", disadvantaging Rotorua's retail and tourism sectors

Taupo is open over Easter Friday and Sunday due to the exemption from Government.

You could base your self in Taupo and drive to Rotorua on Saturday, when everything including shops will be open. It’s only a one hour drive.

For a Maori concert and hangi dinner, you could go to Wairakei Terraces geothermal wonderland and traditional Maori Village in Taupo www.wairakeiterraces.co.nz They are open on Sunday.

Orakei Korako Cave and Thermal Park is also open. 25 minutes north of Taupo. www.orakeikorako.co.nz

I’m not sure about Waitomo Caves. The shops will be closed but you may find the caves open. Best thing would be to send an email to them and ask.

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do the geysers and springs get turned off at Easter?(Nth Is)

Hi,

Many thermal attractions and activities to see and do in Rotorua over Easter and most are open. If one is closed you can be sure that there are still lots of things to do in Rotorua. It is not all closed up as the previous poster may have led you to believe. Mitai Maori Cultural Show is not closed over Easter. If you look at www.rotoruaNZ.com you will get some idea of what is available.

australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do the geysers and springs get turned off at Easter?(Nth Is)

It was a pretty specific question so I wasn't sure I'd get a response- so thank you both very much for that info.

It sounds like our plans won't be affected too much. Also I didn't realise Taupo was quite so close to Rotorua, so that's helpful.

Any recommendations for accomm for family of 5, up to $150 a night?

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do the geysers and springs get turned off at Easter?(Nth Is)

Have a look at Taupo DeBretts Resort. A great family holiday park with motels and home of Taupo Hot Springs Spa. They have a shop and cafe on site. Also the Terraces Hotel is next door with a bar and resaurant. www.TaupoDeBretts.com.

5. Re: Do the geysers and springs get turned off at Easter?(Nth Is)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 23:16