We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Island trip - which direction ? Clockwise or anti ?

Narrogin, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
South Island trip - which direction ? Clockwise or anti ?

G'day All

My wife and I are heading over to NZ in November, very excited !! We have 3 weeks in the South Island, flying into Christchurch on the 17/11 and out of Christchurch on 9/12.

Which would be the best direction to do the South island ? Head south of Christchurch, ie. clockwise, or start off heading north ?Does it really matter ? I mean, we would be delaying seeing the south part of the island and when we do the weather may be better. Would it make a difference ?

Thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Troy

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Island trip - which direction ? Clockwise or anti ?

Hi Troy, it really makes no difference which way you go.

Three weeks is a good amount of time... enjoy :)

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Island trip - which direction ? Clockwise or anti ?

Hi Troy, As a general rule, holidays are better taken in good weather. So if you can predict what the weather will be between Nov 17 and Dec 9th, then you should plan your trip acordingly. Otherwise, as Wanaka says, it doesn't matter.

You are travelling in a relitively quiet time, so you could just wing it.

South Island
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: South Island trip - which direction ? Clockwise or anti ?

Hi

It is easy to get out of ChCh airport into the country and my pick is its better to head north to sample the coastline, Kaikoura and Nelson as an intro to the country, rather than head inland. Most tourists go the other way, just so you know. That way you will travel through small towns and great scenery, until you get to Queenstown, which is in some ways back to civilization. Three weeks makes for a leisurely break so you will have plenty of time to travel,and use the trip back to ChCh to arrive at the airport in a refreshed rather than exhausted state.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
793 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Island trip - which direction ? Clockwise or anti ?

I'm an anti-clockwise lover, although it really doesn't matter which way you choose. If you are planning on booking accommodation on the same day that you arrive in the town, why not arrive in Christchurch, check out the weather forecast (this site is rather good http://weatheronline.co.uk/NewZealand.htm ) and make your decision then.

5. Re: South Island trip - which direction ? Clockwise or anti ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 03:15