We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire company

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
69 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
car hire company

We are arriving in New Zealand in 3 weeks time & are still trying to organise car hire. We have been on lots of different sites with lots of different prices/ages of cars/terms & conditions etc & so are more confused than ever! One company which looks like a good deal (newer car for decent price) is yourway car rental.Anyone had any dealings with them ? Are they an ok company?

Ireland
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire company

We went with Hertz, got a high spec Ford Focus for 22 days. It cost us €680, which was paid in full on CC prior to arrival. This meant there were no hidden "extras" added on to the final bill.

With Hertz, you can't bring the car with you on the ferry between the islands, but that was no problem. We dropped the car off at ferry terminal the day we arrived in Wellington from Napier (after checking into hotel first), then we walked back to the city centre (approx 20 minutes).

The day we were going from Wellington to Picton, we just took a taxi from hotel to ferry. I would suggest though, if you have to pick up a car at ferry port, one of you get the bags and the other goes directly to the car hire office to pick up car. This is because, a) you beat the Qs get your car in 5 minutes and b) you can demand to get the car type you've actually booked (in our case a Ford Focus).Otherwise they'll try to give you a "similar" car which is no way near the same spec!

As said, we had a high spec car, with cruise control which so good to have for all those long drives. It also had a bit of "poke" in it, as it was a 2.8L engine, which is handy for those mountains!

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire company

Hi there

I have never heard of YourWay Car rentals.

My suggestions for a newish car at a reasonable price would be the following:

www.jucy.co.nz

www.apexrentals.co.nz

www.acerentalcars.co.nz

Depends on what size car you want aswell - Jucy only do newer models in the smaller cars (Daihatsu Sirion)

Apex have several newer models (look for the ones they call 'Super' on their website)

Ace also have a couple of newer models (look for the ones they call 'premium' on their website)

All of these are well known NZ based companies with good reputations and a wide network.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire company

Further to my last post, the 3 companies I recommended were from personal experience and/or experiences of guests at our B&B.

I just had a look at the Your Way website, and they do look like they offer very competitive prices for late model cars. So they could well be a good company to go with, I am certainly not suggesting any reason for not using them, just that i have no personal experience of them.

I guess the 1 major thing to check if you decide they offer the best deal, is what their Roadside recovery/ breakdown backup service is like, as that is often what will make the difference in terms of peace of mind.

DCA
Level Contributor
227 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire company

I got burned by Scotties but I'm not sure if it's common for them. We took a car between islands and had car trouble. They really didn't want us to leave the car at a location other than the pickup point and they asked us to drive it back and perform roadside maintenance ourselves when the car died. I'll stick to major companies from now on.

5. Re: car hire company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 08:20