We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiwis Abroad - What do you miss the most?

Canada / New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Kiwis Abroad - What do you miss the most?

For me it has too be the food.

I'm returning for a month in Jan , My mission to gain 10Lbs in 4 weeks.

I dream of FRESH fish and chips, Tip-Top Ice Cream (especially jelly-tip) , Cadbury chocolate , Meat Pies, Custard Squares, Fruit Bursts, Minties,Pineapple Lumps,Whitaker bars,Toffee Pops , Mallowpuffs,Tim-Tams,Chit-chats,Squiggles,Hundred and Thousands! A authentic Kiwi burger!-eggs,beetroot-the lot. L&P , Tui draft, DB Draft, Stein, Lion Ice. - any Beer except Speights ;)

- There's more I'm sure... ;)

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,149 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiwis Abroad - What do you miss the most?

Brent - sounds like you're starving!!

Fish and chips - best in NZ still at iconic Mangonui Fish Shop - as you will already know.

Fruit Bursts - better be quick because they are being phased out - same as Snifters - but you can join the protest when you get here.

What's wrong with Speights? - did those rugged high-country ads. put you off?

Shouldn't be difficult to achieve - just lie on a beach somewhere and follow the cricket, then have a barbie every night - oh the cholesterol!! And the great Kiwi lifestyle.

Cheers

Canada / New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiwis Abroad - What do you miss the most?

News too me about the "Best" Fish and Chips - Thanks much for the tip , Will make a point too see if it's true ;) - I've honestly never had bad fish down there Gurnard,Snapper,Hoki it's all good ;)

Fruit Bursts / Snifters are going away! -I can only imagine the protest! - How can you have a lolly scramble without fruitbursts? - That's just wrong!

What's wrong with Speights? - The taste! -I dunno , I've never been able to drink that stuff...Love kiwi beer in general though, Too each there own though.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiwis Abroad - What do you miss the most?

This is interesting, are you saying, that the Canadians are really into heath food.

I always miss Marmite and our Clover Honey.

Have a good trip home ... :>)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiwis Abroad - What do you miss the most?

The best fish n chips are right here in Wanaka (they are also probably the most expensive!)

When living overseas I couldn't wait to get home for fish n chips (always my first dinner on arrival), pineapple lumps, hokey pokey icecream, boysenberries.

I also craved watching the changing light over tussock clad hills, the smell of wild sage after rain in Wanaka, and the silence and smell of walking in a beech forest.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiwis Abroad - What do you miss the most?

It's gota be the oportunity to have an inteligent discussion which doesn't involve John McCain, Sarah Palin, or Barack Obama. :-)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kiwis Abroad - What do you miss the most?

Hi

I have a spare 10lbs - I only wish I could give them to you!!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kiwis Abroad - What do you miss the most?

I miss my bed! :(

Here's some more things to drool over Brent;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255104-i125-k1124…

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kiwis Abroad - What do you miss the most?

I only jumped the ditch to live here in Sunny Queensland in Oz, but I really miss that true winter smell of burning wood on an indoor fire. Weird I know.........but about the closest we get to that now, is a bush fire. ;0

Oh and I miss, the rain (not!) lol, jet airplane lollies, Moro's, spearmint chews, decent veges and beef that has been fed grass...NOT grain!! Maccers just ain't maccers without REAL meat. Oh the list goes on.....

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kiwis Abroad - What do you miss the most?

Brent, stop in Taupo. I have 10lb to give away as well.

When ever I'm overseas, I just miss good fresh kiwi food and L&P for the Bourbon.

It's amazing how food can taste so different.

Not into sweets, so I don't miss them, but real bacon and farm fresh eggs. Tomatoes that taste real and straight from the garden, not chilled or imported. Beans picked from the garden a minute before they are cooked. A leg of NZ lamb with home made mint sauce. Real spring lamb. Not hogget or mutton being sold as lamb as you see overseas.

Hot smoked Taupo trout served on fresh bread, dripping in NZ butter. Yum, my favorite.

Sorry guy’s, I don’t agree that the Mangonui Fish Shop serve the best fish and chips.

Yes, the fish is fresh, but if you ask the locals, they will tell you to cross the road to the café where they buy their fish and chips. I was in Mangonui a few months ago. The shop was full of tourists paying $15 for a small piece of the days catch which was just Hoki

Maybe I was expecting too much, but I did think the fish of the day would be snapper.

To me, the best fish and chips are from Shane’s fish shop in Acacia Bay, Taupo.

He even has a bowl of lemons on the counter and you can help yourself free of charge. Nothing nicer than sitting on a park bench under a tree in Little Acacia Bay watching people and the boats being launched. It’s the best way to enjoy eating fish and chips.

Canada / New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kiwis Abroad - What do you miss the most?

Some great reply's ,

Thanks for that link zapper , that is an interesting thread too read. -I found a link too Denheath ,Will be making a point too swing by Timaru! - Although I still think the bakery in Havelock Nth , Has some of the best custard squares, Jacksons Bakery there also does an incredible apple strudel.

I'd have too concur about the Fresh factor , That's what's really laking in my Canuk diet. Yeah, goto the supermarket , you can buy whatever you want.. -But it always tastes so bland compared to fresh NZ produce , Which hasn't been genetically engineered or with the meat given hormones etc...

I find it's the dairy I really notice, Grass-fed makes all the difference!

Cadbury is missing there famous "1 1/2 cups of milk" label on our CAD chocolate. -MMM emulsifiers!

I adore Cadbury NZ! But they should slap Cadbury North America! -The stuff here tastes like wax!

Ohh and the best fish and chips, ,As long as it's in newspaper ;) -I got Fish and Chips in a box one time down there , Didn't taste right...