We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do ATMs in NZ Support 6 Digit PIN?

Florida
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do ATMs in NZ Support 6 Digit PIN?

I read somewhere that NZ ATMs require a 4 digit PIN. I have a 6 digit PIN with my Bank of America ATM card and am concerned that the PIN might need to be changed to a 4 digit PIN, assuming the bank will allow me to do so. I did use this ATM card in AU last year with a 6 digit PIN with no problems.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do ATMs in NZ Support 6 Digit PIN?

To my knowledge the machines in New Zealand do NOT accept 6 digit pins. You may need to talk to your bank about getting a card with a 4 digit pin on it.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,102 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do ATMs in NZ Support 6 Digit PIN?

I have just spoken with the Help Desk of my own bank whichis the largest banking grouop in Nz and the advice I have is as follows:

Your pin number is read off the card and the machine is not limited to 4 digits

Your credit card must be compatible with the machine being used ie it maust be affiliated to one of the international operators Cirrus, Plus, Maestro or whatever your bank is affiliated with Internationally. My bank uses PLUS.

If the above is complied with your card should be read by a NZ machine

But wait there is more ......................

It is recommended to check with your bank in USA.

4 digit pins from NZ operate around the world and as most of our banks are Australian owned the tecnology is compatible thus if your card worked in Australia one would summise that it will work here.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
947 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do ATMs in NZ Support 6 Digit PIN?

Hello, Addicted -

Relax! We read the same nonsense, and we used our BoA debit card with its 6-digit pin all over the South Island. Not to worry!

Just be sure to check the WestPac website against your route, as advised. There are several stretches where we were unable to use it, as there were no WestPacs to be found.

If you know the score ahead of time, you can take out enough cash to cover you for the number of days necessary.

I hope you have a splendid trip. Don't let the anxiety overwhelm you. Enjoy the whole experience! It will all be well worth whatever you spend on the trip......

4. Re: Do ATMs in NZ Support 6 Digit PIN?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 01:17