We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Hermitage Hotel Room or Chalet?

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The Hermitage Hotel Room or Chalet?

Hi, I am planning a South Island holiday in March and would like some info. on a few things.

My husband and I are trying to decide whether the accomodation in the Hermitage Hotel, say in a middle range room, is worth the extra money over staying in the Chalets eg for view. Anyone have an opinion?

Also, from Lumsden, is a day trip to Milford Sound worth all the driving? Any suggestions as to seeing some of Fiordland in a day if not the whole trip?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Hermitage Hotel Room or Chalet?

The restaurants at the Hermitage are very expensive... A $54 a head buffet dinner for example. And there is no nearby town to go to.

The chalets have cooking facilities. The hotel rooms don't even have microwaves. So, if you are on a budget, stock up on groceries before you arrive.

The chalets have great views btw, and are only a short walk from the main hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Hermitage Hotel Room or Chalet?

We stayed in the Motels at the Hermitage in September. Just be aware that they look great on the net but are like a typical motel in say country Vic. Not luxurious. It was very clean and bed was comfortable. Chalets are along the same lines. You're only there for the scenery anyway and you get that no matter where you stay. We could see Mt Cook from our room.

The price included a $10 meal voucher each and breakfast in the cafe. You also get a complementary shuttle bus on demand to and from the main hotel building at any time so if you want to go to the restaurant or bar you don't have to drive.

As for Lumsden to Milford Sound, I think it's shorter than going from Queenstown, and a lot of people do that in a day. The whole journey there is breathtaking. There are lots of places of interest to stop along the Milford Rd. Mirror Lakes, The Chasm etc. Just remember that although the distance may be short allow plenty of time as the road is winding. Enjoy your trip!

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Hermitage Hotel Room or Chalet?

Thankyou both for the info.

4. Re: The Hermitage Hotel Room or Chalet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 15:17