We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

boston, ma
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Tipping

What is the current policy on tipping? We have read

different opinions on this. Please Help

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

As a general rule in Nz tipping is not a rule of thumb unlike the USA where a percentage is added to or expected on most transactions. If you receive extra quality service and want to reward such then by all means do so. Unfortuanately the habit is creeping into the service industry in NZ where a tipping glass is left beside the till.

From a personal viewpoint I dont tip as a general rule but if I receive good service I often round up an account and if I want to reward a particular person ie a waiter or waitress I make a personal point of giving that person something as some establishments pool tips and others allow the individual to keep them.

The amount of tip that one would leave is again a very subjective point as too little could be termed an embarrassment, but 10% on accounts is not uncommon.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

The standard reply to this question

"tipping is not customary in NZ"

Sounds simple, but in reality, tipping does occur with in the tourist / visitor industry, and an operator will not be offended if he / she is offered and tip or conversly is not offered a tip.

An operator in NZ could run the risk of insulting his / her clients by refusing to accept a tip. Conversly never feel as if you are required to tip in any way.

Last year there was a thread posted with reagrd to what is acceptable and what was not in terms of how much one should tip. The thoery is that we are all paid sufficient wages, however that does not stand up well against 'whay are so many New Zealanders leaving NZ for better wages in NZ.

The Government does not like tipping because it cannot control or record how much someone is earning so cannot collect tax on the income.

Rule of thumb for me would be, 'tip for excellence in service, not just out of habit.'

I hope that helps a wee bit,

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

Tipping is not the general or expected practice in New Zealand and as a visitor you should not feel under any obligation whatsoever to leave a tip.

Australia
Level Contributor
365 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

Tipping is not the norm, i think coaster2 has summed it up very well

boston, ma
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

Thanks for the " tip " ! I had read what you say, then read tipping is becoming the norm. Thanks for clearing that up! Can't wait to get there!

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

I watched a young fellow hand over a $50 for a $40 fare. That sort of thing will encourage the wrong kind of attitude in taxi drivers. Don't do it.

7. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 05:27