We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days itinerary north island

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
10 days itinerary north island

hi all,

now that my campervan issue has been resolved (book a KEA on the 31/05/2009-07/06/2009), i need some itinerary planning for my trip.

i'll arrive in auckland from kuala lumpur, malaysia on the 31/05/2009 at 1120am. (how long does it take for me to clear the customs, immigration etc?)

upon clearance, i'll pick up my campervan from the KEA depot (which i was told about 40 minutes from the airport) i would say that i may only get to drive my campervan the earliest at 1600pm.

my plan is to cover only north island. so on the first day, i'm thinking about spending my first night in new zealand in thames.

on the second day, i plan to cover coromandel area and spend the night at waihi or whatakane.

3rd day rotorua

4th day rotorua

5th day taupo

6th day taupo

7th day waitomo

8th day back to auckland

9th day auckland

10th day auckland and back to malaysia

the 3 last days in auckland, i may rent a car.

i would also like to have some suggestion on my hotel/apartment in auckland.

i'm open for any suggestion from you guys as this is my maiden trip to new zealand.

you guys may suggest on what activities i could get my family involved in at the places above.

by the way, i forgot to mention that there'll be my 8 months old baby in my family.

so i would appreciate that the activities that you suggest is suitable for me and my family.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
252 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days itinerary north island

Hi, Kea Campers is an excellent company but they are in a very unusual location in Auckland, in fact more like an hour from Auckland Airport and in the wrong direction for you.

It will only take you about an hour to clear customs/immigration etc. Kea at least offer a free transfer so that is helpful.

So I would say by the time you are ready to depart it will be about 2.30 - 3.00pm.

I would suggest you not drive to Thames but spend the first night in Auckland, the nearby Takapuna Top 10 Holiday park is excellent. Remember you will be tired and driving in a strange country. You should not attempt a big drive straight away.

Next morning wait for rush hour to pass and then drive to Thames, about 2 hours drive time, roughly. Otherwise your outline is good, nice short distances, no long driving day's and lots of spare time to explore each area. Short traveling day's are very important with a young child on board.

The Coromandel has nice beaches and lots of bush walks. It also has lots of artist's.

Rotorua and Taupo are a little bit similar, both located on lakes and both have lots of interesting geothermal sights nearby. Rotorua is the larger of the two towns and has a huge range of activities.

Waitomo is a neat tiny little village set in a beautiful hilly location. It is most famous for all the caves in the area, many of which you can visit.

Please come prepared for our cold nights, they will surprise you so bring warm clothing with you.

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days itinerary north island

thanks for the reply rbmm,

will have a look at my plan again.

u are right about me being tired from the long flight into auckland. but what do you think about hamilton? is it wiser to drive to hamilton rather than thames?

right now i'm actually finding information about things and activities that we all can get involve in at those places.

as for rotorua, skyride, agroventures, visit to a maori village is my plan.

while in taupo, i plan for an excursion to mt ruapehu. or should i spend a nite in mt ruapehu area?

Tauranga
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days itinerary north island

I'd stay the first night in Auckland as well, but if you are desperate to get out of town Thames would be approximately 2.5 hours from the KEA depot. You are lucky it will be Sunday afternoon, so the traffic at around 1600pm won't be too bad. You wouldn't want to make that journey on a weekday at that time.

I would plan to spend two days around the Coromandel. You will need them if you are in a camper. Spend three days between Rotorua and Taupo.

I suggest

Day 1 Arrive Auckland, pick up van, test drive van, and stay at Takapuna as suggested.

Day 2 Leave Auckland after rush hour, drive to Thames and then onto Whitianga via Coromandel town. Stay at Whitianga, Cooks Beach, or Hahei.

Day 3 Visit Hahei, Cathedral Cove, Hot Water Beach then travel to Tauranga/Mount Maunganui to stay the night.

Day 4,5,6 Travel from Tauranga to Rotorua (around two hours in a camper). Taupo is about 1.5 hours from Rotorua. You can mix and match, two nights Rotorua, one night Taupo or vice versa.

Day 7 Waitomo

Day 8 Back to Auckland

Hope this helps.

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days itinerary north island

hi cssr,

i'm thinking about abandoning the waitomo.

i might want to stay in matamata.

while in taupo, i plan for a day excursion to mt ruapehu.

in early june, can i expect any snow there?

as i'm from a tropical country, snow is a new thing for me :)

5. Re: 10 days itinerary north island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 06:23