We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Self drive

We are planning a trip to Australia and New Zealand at the end of the year. We will probably have a total of 19 days to tour both islands.... I would appreciate advice on what we MUST see... we are not beach lovers but that doesn't mean we don't mind lazing by a pool, however this will be an active holiday with one night and 2 night stops. Anyone got any ideas?

Akaroa Dolphins
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Waitomo Adventures
Canyoning & Rappelling Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Bubbly Grape Wine Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Milford Sound BBQ Bus
Bus Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self drive

Hi

You have plenty of time to plan and there are many posts on this forum with itineraries which you may find helpful.

For starters arrange your flights so that you fly into Auckland and out of Christchurch or vice versa - this will help you make the most of your 19 days which is a comfortable amount of time to see both islands without having to back track.

As for must sees - too many to name! I would suggest that you divide your time equally between both islands. With regard to the north island you will have time to get up to Northland and the Bay of Islands and also spend time in the central north island (Taupo/Rotorua) - both very special parts of the country.

You may wish to have a look at:

www.newzealand.com

which is a good starting point

If you can be a bit more specific about your interest that would help us make suggestions.

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self drive

We enjoy sight seeing, nice drives, but not too much walking - a gentle stroll is more for us. Good food, lively restaurants with good atmosphere. We like cities but we also like smaller towns with character. Decent hotels are a must, not b&b

California
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self drive

I'm planning a 3+ weeks, self drive in NA. One week in the North and 2+ weeks in the South. I found this Self Drive Tour from NZ Coach Tours and wondering if anyone has used them before. If not any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,633 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self drive

Hi Neep, 19 days is a good amount of time though you will still need to be quite selective in your planning. Most visitors spend longer in the South island than in the North, though it depends on your interests. The link given earlier www.newzealand.com has some great itinerary ideas to help get you started. once you have determined your route, we can help fine tune it for you.

hello Jazzman, welcome to the forum :)

may I suggest you begin a new thread with your questions as otherwise your question may get overlooked. If you provide a link to the route you are considering we can better advise you :)

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Self drive

Hello,

With just 19 days in New Zealand you will need to be selective. You mention self drive, however it is possible to get around the country without taking to the wheel of a car at all, if you wished to do so, using a combination of bus/train and ferry. We did, and were able to sit back,relax and let the driver take the strain, while we admired the scenery! It worked a treat.

As far as ideas about what to see, I would recommend the travel book "Around New Zealand by Bus", which provides interesting background information based on an actual itinerary undertaken in New Zealand.

If you are looking for ideas about what to see in Australia, I think you would find a book entitled "Crosstralia" most useful in your itinerary planning.

Happy travels.

California
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self drive

Hi Neep,

We booked a 27 days self driving starting from Auckland. This is our first trip to New Zealand. It is relatively easy to plan comparing to other contries. However it took me about 2 months to research and finally booked the trip from one of the small travel company in New Zealand. We stay mostly 2 nights per stop which is nice to give us more time to explore each place and a little more relaxing :-)

Since this is our first time there so I won't be able to advise exactly what MUST see :-(

7. Re: Self drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 06:22