We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the world economic climate affecting your travel plans?

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Is the world economic climate affecting your travel plans?

As the economic climate changes, my quuestion is to everybody, traveelers comming to NZ or new Zealanders traelling in NZ or new Zealanders working in the hospitality / tourisim, travel sectors.

this is not a scientific research, but would really love to hear from a broad range of individuals who may be planning a holiday or anyother larger expenses.

many new Zealanders work in the service industries too and their comentry also interest me.

Please leave a comment

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the world economic climate affecting your travel plans?

My comment- have you got a sticky keyboard coaster? :)

Barry, Wales, UK
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the world economic climate affecting your travel plans?

Hi Coaster,

We are 2 young 60 yr olds who have been planning our trip (Singapore, Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong) for a long while and everything is booked and paid for. So no, the changes are not effecting us and we cant wait to start our journey on April 19th.

We arrive in NZ on 14th May, 2 days in Christchurch then campervan around both Islands until 13th June with 2 nights then in Auckland before flying out.

All booked via "Trailfinders" except the campervan which I did over internet with "United".

The experience of planning this trip has been great and made all the more by the help of you experts here on TripAdvisors.

My wife and I spend at least 4 hours a day updating our information and I'm sure we can only have a great time.

Peter

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,430 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the world economic climate affecting your travel plans?

Love your adventurous spirit Peter, have a great trip! And I hope you'll come back afterwards to post a review and share some stories :)

So how is the economic mess affecting me? I have a B&B and haven't been operating long. They say it takes three years to become fully established but that may now take an extra year or two. I've had a very good summer but it looks rather dismal for the ski season. I'm hoping everyone is just waiting to book last minute, rather than organising everything upfront.

so we shall see...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the world economic climate affecting your travel plans?

Hi coaster2

I think everyone's a bit spooked about the state of the economy but I believe life's too short to hold off doing what you enjoy. You're here for a good time, not a long time. Personally I don't know of anyone who has lost their job. I make sure I put aside half my pay every week and feed my NZ habit every year. Done 2 summers, an autumn and a spring. Haven't been there in winter yet so might do that this year. Otherwise it will be Spring again. Can't wait!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the world economic climate affecting your travel plans?

I live in the US and have seen the impact first hand; there have been layoffs at my company & it's been stressful. But I save a lot and for me & my DH travel is a big priority in our lives. I never thought we'd be going to NZ this year - but thankfully we've been able to pull it off. I have friends who are also planning int'l trips; so I guess it really depends on your personal situation - work, disposable income, etc.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,527 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the world economic climate affecting your travel plans?

Hi Coaster,

I live in Whangarei city - there are still lots of drivers/travellers on the main road - going north and south, probably booked their tours some time back - and petrol prices are reasonably stable. I drive past our I-Site every day, the car park needs urgent expansion to fit the increased demand for space by tour coaches and campervans - let alone smaller vehicles.

I keep an eye on the value of our dollar for rises/falls. NZ currently offers good value for overseas visitors - good to see travellers taking advantage of a favourable situation. We are having a golden summer in Northland - so fine weather attracts visitors to our twin-coast region.

And Im heading away to my favourite destination for 3 weeks - the Cook Islands forum is as busy as ever - again due to our Kiwi dollar's position. Visitors are very willing to spend NZ$600+ per night for beachfront accommodation.

Cheers

Lakeville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
256 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the world economic climate affecting your travel plans?

Although the economy isn't the best right now, my boyfriend and I are planning a trip to NZ in November because of the great exchange rate between the USD and NZD. We are doing lots of research but might not book many B&B's and motels until we get there to allow for extra days in some locations if the weather isn't ideal for the activities that are "must do" for us. For us, this is a once in a lifetime trip so we don't mind spending the money, and just try to be frugal in other ways in our life to save.

vai
southern cal
Level Contributor
337 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the world economic climate affecting your travel plans?

The US dollar has dropped dramatically against the NZ and Aussie dollar over the last 10 days which is a bummer but we are still coming. We're going to a Uni graduation and then a wedding so the NZ holiday part is an added bonus to these happy events. We were able to score a good airfare through Air New Zealand. Sad to say but in truth, if not for the 2 special occasions and the terrific airfare, I doubt we'd make room in our budget for a South Pacific vacation at this time.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the world economic climate affecting your travel plans?

Zappers, maybe I'll just blame the typest!!!!!!!!

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the world economic climate affecting your travel plans?

Kikiflower,

The winter is an awesome time to come. One needs to think in terms of dressing for the cooler climate, so if you come with skiing in mind, then you will have the most suitable gear.

To see the beutiful haw frosts of the Maniatoto and central otago regions is spectacular.

check the following link to see what the Arthur's pass road (highway 73) can be like http://www.flickr.com/photos/26176760@N08/sets/72157605363306815/

Central otago is even more spectacular

Remember to drive to the conditions though