We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in NZ

Melbourne
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
Driving in NZ

I know this has come up before but I was wondering, just how hard is it to drive in NZ? We drive on the same side of the road as you guys but are the road rules heaps different? I heard something about a right hand turn that is very confusing????? Is the traffic really bad in Auckland? Road signs confusing? Is the road signage very confusing????

Bubs

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in NZ

I do it every day and seem to manage lol

It is not that bad. Traffic in rush hour is a pain especially on the motorway network, however out of peak it is not bad. Just drive with your wits about you and keep an eye out for other motorists and you will be fine.

Beware of setting out quickly from traffic lights. Running red lights is epidemic here.

Signage is a bit poor with an assumption from the people who created the roading network that everyone knows how to get from one town to another.

Watch out for road markings. The approach to intersections is NOT consistent so you may find yourself in a compulsory turn lane or in a lane you did not want.

Depending upon your age, you may be familiar with the give way to the right rule as it was the same in Australia up till the 80's (Though strangely enough not in all states). Basically it means if two cars are approaching an intersection and both want to turn down the road leading off the intersection the car turning left gives way. Basically give way to the right. it would mean the car nearest the curb gives way to the car turning from the centre of the road.

Overall road rules are very similar. In fact we don't have one rule that you put up with, we do not have hook turns. Then again we have no trams.

Hope this helps.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in NZ

Thanks for your reply. Doen't sound that difficult.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in NZ

Well said Kiwiacct! I too live in Auckland (originally from Wellington) and the thing I find the hardest is getting into the correct lane. I find that sometime you are travelling along and the lane you are in becomes a left turn only land or right turn only (Botany Downs is great for this!). Signage and street names is another thing Auckland does not do so well.

But you are right, if you stay out of peak our traffic its not so bad.

singapore
Level Contributor
175 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in NZ

What are the peak hours & which roads around Auckland are particularly affected ?