We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ok, now I need your help

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ok, now I need your help

I have a mind block, I have some visitors, including children, from India visiting on Sunday for a couple of hours. And no, they're not from TA.

I want to give them something to eat, something quick and easy to prepare, something unique to NZ, maybe something that can easily be cooked on the BBQ although doesn't need to be. It won't be lunch, more a mid-late afternoon snack. Any ideas?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ok, now I need your help

What about some lamb patties on burgers and kumara chips. Both can be picked from the freezer section of the supermarket. By using lamb you wont offend any culture issues. Make sure you include some beetroot on the burgers. Light dessert of pavlova and hokey pokey incecream.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ok, now I need your help

yum, Bean I like your menu!

Perhaps add some interesting cheeses, crackers, sliced apple and grapes.

Zappers, have fun :)

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ok, now I need your help

For a cold drink because I know it gets very hot in the BOP some L&P.

Auckland
Level Contributor
438 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ok, now I need your help

Kiwi dip, love it or hate it everyone always seems to serve the onion soup and condensed milk stuff ! Definitely Hokey Pokey ice cream

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,913 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ok, now I need your help

When I can get the golden syrup my asian friends love ANZAC biscuits.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ok, now I need your help

You guys are brilliant! Excellent ideas and now I want to do them all, kinda defeats the "quick and easy" bit though, well the quick anyway :-/ And I think for the fruit I can add feijoas and golden kiwifruit, both ripe and ready now!

And AucklandShelly you obviously have a sweet tooth, it's reduced cream not condensed milk!;) But I like your way of thinking I can eat a whole can on condensed milk in one sitting! Thanks everyone.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ok, now I need your help

Hello Zappers,

Include a couple of Kapiti cheeses(the Gouda I recently bought at the Tauranga market was imported but sooo tasty.Passionfruit are available now so a bowl of kiwifruit,feijoas (the juice available in supermarkets is popular), mandarins, passionfruit and kiwiberries as a centrepiece would be a healthy option. For something less healthy, mini pavlovas filled with whipped cream (perhaps add a little rum or butterscotch liqueur) and topped with passionfruit syrup or even the CWI favourite of yesterday...the sponge cake.

Have a lovely afternoon on Sunday.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ok, now I need your help

As it's not an actual meal, what about a pav? Impossible to buy anything as good as home made (at least it is here)... and they are super simple too.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,693 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ok, now I need your help

get you butcher to "butterfly" a lamb/hogget leg. Then BBQ it. Simple as, tastes's devine.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ok, now I need your help

If from India, you'd better find out what religion?

Hindu will not eat cow.Moslem will not eat Pig.

And Jain will be vegetarian.And often Hindu will be vegetarian also.

If not vegetarian , be safe and stick with Sheep or goat meat.