We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please don't change your names

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Please don't change your names

According to a report in 'The Times' this week, The New Zealand Geographic Board has discovered that North Island and South Island are not the legal names for the two islands despite their common long-term usage.

A public consultation will be held next year and English and Maori names will be considered.

Apparently, the most popular suggestions are the original Maori names noted by Captain Cook---North Island--Te Ika a Maui (the fish of Maui) and South Island--Te Wai Pounamu (the canoe of Maui).

Please tell me that this is just not going to happen!

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please don't change your names

Rest easy MummyGaot, I think you will find that they will still be called North & South' After all, these names show so much imagination, and they just slip off the tongue :)

What will probably happen is they will be dual named, as has happened with many NZ geographical names; Aoraki/Mt Cook, Mt Taranaki/Mt Egmont, Milford Sound/Piopiotahi.

It's not a bad thing, and most New Zealanders are very accepting of it. THe Maori names are usually more descriptive (once they are translated) and some are quite beautiful. Te Wai Pounamu has quite a nice lilt to it, (athough I think it has something to do with Greenstone: have to look it up) Not so sure about Te Ika a Maui, and Piopiotahi grates a bit, but by and large the the alternative names are pretty good.

I'm not altogether convinced that all these names were the original Maori names for these places, and I suspect that some are of recent origin, but it does bring home the bi cultural nature of new Zealand.

Mentioned in this post
Aoraki/Mt. Cook
Aoraki/Mt. Cook
418 Reviews
Mt. Cook Village, New Zealand
Taranaki Region
Taranaki Region
North Island, New Zealand
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,629 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
NZ
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please don't change your names

Te wai pounamu refers to the greenstone, not the canoe (waka) Wai is water.

Fear not, you will still be able to go north or south.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please don't change your names

We welcome the duality.

It just expands the ability to describe each beautiful island in another manner.

Imagine their use in being able to convey greater appreciation of each island.

But North Island /South Island use will be here to stay, in tandem.

If only because when referring quickly to either island, NI or SI can be used.

Just so convenient,precise and specific, and totally acceptable.

However, there would be confusion and abhorence at trying to quickly reference them by saying'TIM' or 'TWP'!

So yes, duality would satisfy everyone.

Mentioned in this post
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please don't change your names

I hope North and South stay but I would much prefer Aotearoa ove New Zealand. I don't know why we ended up with a Dutch name when Tasman didn't even stick around long enough to plant a flag to claim another Dutch Colony.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,612 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please don't change your names

According to Michael King (historian) Aotearoa is a Pakeha creation from the 1930's so we need to be a bit careful. Even the name "New Zealand" comes from a mistake by a Dutch map maker. Duality is great. It pays repect to our history abd the treaty that give us Pakeha the right to be here! Places like Aoraki and Taranaki where bona fide names before the European explores got all colonial and re-named them. While Maori had no common names for the islands they did have names for mountains and rivers. I think in time Mt Cook will drop from Aoraki in the way Mt Egmont has from Taranaki. With the Islands the Europeans originally called them South (now Stewart) Middle and North so it is all a bit arbitary. Most of us look forward to the debate. Perhaps it will be sorted in time for a new flag! (which we had first and the Ozzies copied and now people can't sepaerate!)

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Taranaki Region
Taranaki Region
Stewart Island
Stewart Island
Southland Region, New Zealand
Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please don't change your names

I love the Maori names but they can be a bit difficult to pronounce for us non Maori speakers.Duality would be absolutely fine by me if they keep the terms North and South for easy usage.If they were given the literal translation of the Maori, e.g. the fish of Maui it would just sound silly."I am touring round the canoe of Maui first and then flying down to the fish". I think not.

North and South have been around for so long that I suppose people will just go on using these.

Wanaka Lakes, I prefer the Maori name to New Zealand too,although NZ is convenient abbreviation.

By the way,is South Island sometimes refered to as the mainland?

Whatever is decided,nothing is going to stop me returning to beautiful Aotearoa.

Mentioned in this post
Wanaka
Wanaka
Otago Region, New Zealand
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please don't change your names

'By the way, is South Island sometimes refered to as the mainland?'

LOL

yep, but only by we mainlanders.

Mentioned in this post
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
NZ
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please don't change your names

You would actually fly up to the fish: check a map and see how happily the three main islands match the legend:

The North Island is the fish, the South Island the canoe and Stewart island the anchor.

Mentioned in this post
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Stewart Island
Stewart Island
Southland Region, New Zealand
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,194 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please don't change your names

I am waiting for the NZ Geographic Board to come up with a Maori name for the West Island of New Zealand which some foreigners call Australia.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,194 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please don't change your names

In response To Mummygaot's question about the Sth Island being called the Mainland.

It is as much credence as Auckland's conception that Wellington is windy.

Myths created because of the insecurity of the perpertrators.

Next we'll hear arguements from people like "Zappers" that the Bay of Plenty is sunny and that Whakatane is the sunniest place in the country.

Yea right

Give me strength.

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
Bay of Plenty Region
Bay of Plenty Region
Whakatane
Whakatane
Bay of Plenty Region, New Zealand