We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jucy Camper Vans

leicester
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Jucy Camper Vans

Hi

Does anyone have any experiance of Jucy campervans:

My wife and I are traveling around the north island in December and were looking either the jucy chaser or charga.

Does anyone have any first hand experiance of the company or the vans?

Cheers

Wes

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,905 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jucy Camper Vans

Hi Wes

I haven't tried Jucy, but see them everywhere. I'm pleased to see you are planning to get a campervan with full toilet, shower, kitchen. This helps keep NZ clean and unpolluted.

When will you be here in Dec? If towards the end of the month you will be at the peak camping season and I suggest you prebook all your campsites early.

This thread may help further

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255104-i125-k2293…

enjoy your stay :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,320 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jucy Camper Vans

Quite a few of the Juicy vans are quite small, more of a mobile tent. If they do not have compliant toilets and greywater tanks you have to use camping grounds and can't freedom camp. Just check what you are getting.

malta
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jucy Camper Vans

Think twice before u go to Jucy!!! The following is my story:

While on Saturday our vehicle was parked in a parking in the middle of Rotorua city during daylight, someone smashed the driver’s side window and stole our backpacks amongst other things. Apart from the shock and the financial loss, the broken campervan didn’t offer the same comfort and protection as before, therefore we needed the window replaced or at least some temporary protection. We immediately called Jucy with the comfort that at least we are fully covered by our stress-free insurance. Ha! Since the next day was Sunday, they didn’t agree to pay for the extra weekend-fee, which Smith&Smith charge. For Jucy we could have driven 3 hours to Auckland with the rain coming in from the broken window and the freezing wind in our face (plus incurring around NZD95 for fuel to come back to Rotorua) or they gave us the option to pay the extra fee ourselves or that we can pay for an alternative accommodation and wait till Monday to get it repaired….mmm...very supportive…asking us to fork out more money when we have just been robbed….and that comes from a company with whom we have been loyal customers for the past 13 weeks!!! Even the local businesses at Rotorua gave us more support through the Victims Support Program; because a backpackers place offered us free accommodation and an electronics shop gave us a really heavy discount when we bought a replacement item. But Jucy, to whom we paid an extra 22NZD per day insurance for extra protection, considered our matter trivial and did not assist us.

Moreover, Jucy is falsely stating that it is written in the rental agreement (that Jucy is not responsible for the costs), which we read and re-read, but it is clearly visible Jucy is not binding to the insurance policy agreement. However since we are tourists, we have no time to go to a lawyer and go to court etc. It is also interesting to note that Jucy Company is ready to use lies to breach the rental agreement. The following are extracts from the Campa Rental Agreement Terms and Conditions (effective 1 April 2009 – 31 March 2010):

1. “Jucy Rentals (“the owner”)…”

2. “4…c)… STRESS-FREE insurance covers all damage including…”

3. “7…b) The owner shall be responsible for all ordinary and extraordinary costs of running the vehicle…”

4. “8...d) All AA non-mechanical call-outs will incur a call-out fee…”

Rebecca from Jucy stated that clauses 4, 7, and 8, show that I cannot ask to be reimbursed for the extra charge (NZD146)!!!!! I ask why?! She said that clause 4 does not mention that the policy covers the “weekends’ fees” by Smith&Smith. But I say, does not clause 4 say that the “incurance covers all damage including…”? “Including” does not mean limited to. She also says that according to clause 7 I am the owner, thus I am responsible for the ordinary and extraordinary costs!!!! On the other hand the insurance policy clearly states on top with bold letters that Jucy is the “owner”. She also points that clause 8 mentions that “All AA…incur a call-out fee”. We did not lock the keys, did not remain without fuel or things like that, which are mentioned in the policy, so we did not call the AA. We got robbed and someone broke the window so we called Smith&Smth to fix the window for us. I did not sign an insurance policy that says Weekend/Emergency fees charged by Smith&Smith to repair the window shall be covered by the hirer. I did not call-out anyone to come to our van. I was going to take the van to Smith&Smith. In a nutshell, Jucy lied and twisted the policy words to breach the insurance policy agreement. Jucy just takes advantage of tourists because we, tourists, have no time to follow such issues.

Hopefully someone from the recipients takes action and assists us to claim the funds, which Jucy should have paid plus the stress damages and waste of time from our holiday, especially when it is clear that Jucy has breached the policy agreement.

So this is when I remember the nomination fee that Jucy gave us for The Golden Backpackers nomination form to nominate them. Please consider this email as my nomination for Jucy Rentals NZ as the company that doesn’t care less if they destroy your holiday in NZ and breach the insurance policy.

A disappointed tourist

J Bilocca

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jucy Camper Vans

It is unfortunate that you were robbed, but you are more than a little unfair when you extrapolate from a single incident to make very sweeping generalisations in the way you do.

I've used Jucy cars a number of times, and never had any problem with them. Having said that, I've recently been checking out campervans and when it came to price, they didn't make the cut. If I wanted a cheapie, I'd go with Exploremore.

Sydney
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jucy Camper Vans

I too have had major issues with Jucy, In my opinion they are unorganised, incompetant, dishonest and have engaged in fraudulant behaviour........ which is being escalated to legal action.

I can certainly sympathise with the earlier post re:-broken window. as I too had issues with my camper, and did not receive any real assistance.

Another word of warning... the beds in the campers collapse, nightly for us, and other similiarly dissatified Jucy customers we met on the road has similiar issues!!!! And to top it off when I returned the camper and complained to the staff,they commented it was not uncommon for this to happen.

I for one will never be a customer of JUCY again.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jucy Camper Vans

I'm sorry but when I see people in their very tiny Jucy rental "camper" vans I have to wonder what possessed them to run with this option. Unless you are older teens or 20 somethings looking for a budget trip around the world then I can't see the point in hiring one of these. They are no more than glorified people carriers with a tent out the back. What you save in nightly accommodation(and that's debatable) will cost you in the long run with bad memories, cold nights and damp bedding. There has to be a better way to experience campervanning than these pathetic excuses for a van.

Don't get fooled by the hype. Book a bigger van or go down the motel/holiday park cabins/B&B route please.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,905 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jucy Camper Vans

I quite agree Zappers.

And the vans covered in graffiti I find appauling. The sayings aren't wicked, they are more often demeaning, insulting and in totally poor taste.

They make me feel quite old lol

London
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Jucy Camper Vans

I am sorry you were robbed and it is sad to hear about your experience with Jucy Rentals. My boyfriend and I travelled through New Zealand last year and hired a campervan through them. We did alot of research before we left the UK and found them to be extremley helpful with everything from the questions before booking right until we dropped off the campervan a month later.

We did experience a broken windscreen due to a stone flicking up while we were driving and we found that they were very quick to help us get it fixed as soon as possible and back to enjoy our holiday. I have recomended them to all my friends who are planning trips to New Zealand.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jucy Camper Vans

It disappoints me to to read of poor service. The two posts in particular do not describe a service to customers that I would be proud of.

Yes you do get what you pay for, but bad service is below that level again and cannot be justified.

As for vans with nothing short of degrading graffitti on it, nothing to be proud of there im afraid, and im sure you dont have to be old to feel that way (WL).

Sydney
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jucy Camper Vans

I have had a result.... After several emails back and forth. (Which included very patronising and insulting comments from Jucy). They have agreed to my resolution, albeit at the threat of legal action 3 times, the final threat contained an ultimatum and 4 working days to respond/comply. JUCY not only responded.... they complied.

When I think about it, it is not really a result, as I had to fight to receive what JUCY had confirmed (in writing) were my entitlements.

What a great way to run a hospitality business.

Regardless I will never be a JUCY customer again