We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 2010 Holiday

Nottingham, UK.
Level Contributor
155 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Planning 2010 Holiday

Planning trip 2010. OK I am looking for advice from all the seasoned travellers out there. My wife and I are looking to go to one the following three locations

South Africa

Canada

New Zealand.

We have already been to S.A. for 2 weeks in Aug 08 and it was truly an amazing trip. We have never been to either of the other two locations so I am interested to hear from anyone who has experienced any two (or all three) of these locations.

We are very much into culture, sightseeing and trying to experience to local surrounds.

I suppose the question is given the choice of the above 3 which would YOU go for.

I have posted this request in the following locations CANADA, SOUTH AFRICA, NEW ZEALAND. I will be interested to hear from all travellers.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning 2010 Holiday

New Zealand :)

I've travelled extensively through Africa (though not SA) and agree the wildlife is amazing.

I've spent some time in Canada, which is stunning.

But NZ still remains my favourite. Don't be fooled by NZ's relative small size on the world map. An amazingly diverse landscape is stuffed into this small package. It will still take you a month to see just the main sights. Our cities are safe, and also our wildlife too... our penguins don't bite!

so come on down... you won't be disappointed :)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning 2010 Holiday

What a difficult question to answer, as a New Zealander I would definitely say come visit us. But it does depend on how long you have and how much you want to see. Also what time of the year??

New Zealand has so much to offer that it is also difficult to know where to start. Our beaches are stunning in the summer and our mountains are unique in the winter. We have birds, zoos, wineries, art and craft,museums, cafes and restaurants, world class golf courses and very different shopping. Where will you start and where will it end.

Muskoka, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning 2010 Holiday

I'm from Canada currently planning a three month vacation to New Zealand with a desire to move there. Canada is great and beautiful but very large. I live in Muskoka which is two hours north of Toronto. We are currently experiencing our spring black fly season, which means I stay inside for the next month. British Columbia is my favorite province. You certainly couldn't plan on seeing the whole country without many long flights and major expense. August is the best time, hopefully the mosquitos have died down and the sun is still shining.

Playa Flamenca...
Level Contributor
152 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning 2010 Holiday

Hi fellow Brit, did a month in South Africa in the early 80's and agree it is wonderful. In Jan/Feb this year we had 23 days in New Zealand and loved every minute of it, we still enthuse over it daily. Can't comment on Canada myself but my husband has been there on business and likes it so is now on my bucket list.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning 2010 Holiday

Hello,

Lucky for you I have lived in both Canada and New Zealand. I have never been to South Africa but it is on my list. I would say that Canada and New Zealand are both great places to visit. In both you don't have to worry about getting shot,stabbed,taken hostage, robbed, etc. Canada is a huge place to visit if your looking to see a lot of it. A lot of people take the train across but if you want to drive only take the train thru the Mountains. From Edmonton I think it leaves from in the east. Driving thru there is just not a good idea. To many good pictures to take on both sides. Try to spend most of your time on the coasts. The middle is Flat, boring, and 2500 km of straight road, minus a few cities here and there. If possible fly from Winnipeg to Calgary or Edmonton. That will give you a taste of the road and let you make up your mind if you want to drive the next 1500+ km of flat road. It is expensive to fly in Canada even booking in advance but the best thing to check is Westjet. Air Canada sucks. Left 10 000 people stranded at X-mas with not one person at the counter to answer questions. Quebec is french so try to learn a bit if you can. Montreal and Quebec City are both english/french speaking but outside of there you better know some french. The rest of Canada is English so you will not have to worry about that. If you can afford it go up to the NWT , Yukon, Nunavut for 24 hours of sunlight (June 20th or around). The Yukon is the more picture perfect one. Stay awhile in and around Vancouver. The Olympics will be over and it will hopefully not be so busy. Canada is HUGE and your looking at a day or more to drive across each Province with short or no stops. Gas is cheaper in the East then the West. The middle has the least people and the East has the most. The East is more American in their ways and the West is more mellow and layed back. All in all I would spend most of my time in and around B.C. It is the most beautiful with Mountains everywhere and the Ocean. If your coming from New Zealand First it will be Just like coming from the South Island.

Now as for New Zealand it is amazing also. 2 totally different island that almost seem like different worlds. The Maori are mostly in the North so if your looking for some culture that is where to find it. The North Island is a Volcanic area with Volcanoes all over. From Huge ones to the massive amount of smaller ones that make up Auckland. The North has more road options for traveling from one side of the Island to the other while in the South you have only 5. The North is also bigger when it comes to driving. A lot of windy up and down roads that make it seem like your driving in a circle sometimes. The South island is small Mountains at each end with a huge spine down the middle that is the Southern Alps. Beautiful if you have not grown up in Mountains but to me Mountains are Mountains and it was like being back in B.C.. Either way both Island are just as beautiful in there own ways. I try to tell people to spend 3 months in New Zealand so I can even imagine how long to tell you to spend in Canada.

Good luck with your trip.

Nottingham, UK.
Level Contributor
155 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning 2010 Holiday

Thanks for the advice Whakaroundtours.

But I would like to point out that you will neither get shot, stabbed or taken hostage in S.A either.

Nottingham, UK.
Level Contributor
155 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning 2010 Holiday

any more advice from any one??

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning 2010 Holiday

Hello,

If you do decide to choose New Zealand for your holiday, it is possible to cover both North and South Islands in about a month. It is possible to plan the itinerary yourself, should you wish to do so. We did just that and covered both the North Island and the South Island using the national coach network, Intercity Coachlines, in conjunction with a Travelpass. We sat back, relaxed and let the driver take the strain while we admired the scenery, it worked a treat! We also took two train journeys and of course the interisland ferry crossing.We did not take to the wheel of a car at all.

Should you decide to visit this lovely country, you would find the travel book entitled "Around New Zealand by Bus" most useful, whether or not you decide to travel in this way or not.

Happy travels.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
141 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning 2010 Holiday

Well Falcon you have some interesting choices. Good for you.

In our Winter of 08 we spent a month in NZ and two months in Australia, and last October we spent a month in the Canadian maritime provinces. We live in the states but only about 3 hours from Winipeg so our Canadian trips seem a bit less adventurous. That being said we have never had a bad time anywhere in Canada.

We have spent most of our time in the East and love the culture shift between French Quebec and the other Englush speaking provinces. There is a certain majesty to the St. Lawrence seaway area and quaint seaside villages of Nova Scotia. The middle part of the country sweeps through lakes and wheat farms until you get into the Canadian Rockies which are starkly beautiful.

We too like British Columbia and the short drive from Vancouver to Whistler is breathtaking. There were a couple areas of Vancouver where we felt like we might in fact get shot or mugged, but that was our fault. In February you can watch the Winter Olympics from Vancouver and Whistler.

New Zealand on the other hand is the most spectacular meeting of land and water we have ever encountered. In our month there (January) we drove from the top of the North Island to the bottom of the South Island with many multiple night stays along the way. We found great beaches, dramatic forests, glaciers, mountains, wine country, fjords, beautiful cities, a strong Maori South Pacific culture, and unbelievably friendly people. It is a concentration of scenery that is hard to match anywhere. We even had a nice visit with a couple from Nottingham at our B&B in Te Anau.

We haven't been to South Africa, but expect the draw would be the culture and animal life. You won't see many critters in either Canada or New Zealand. You do get to drive on the left in NZ as opposed to the right in Canada. They all have the Queen on their money so that will feel like home. NZ would certainly be a much longer trip for you than Canada, but it isn't the worst thing in the world to have a layover in Tahiti, Hawaii, or Hong Kong.

Given your choices we would do New Zealand, but it doesn't sound like there is a bad option. Have a great time.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning 2010 Holiday

I wasn't saying that its a good chance of getting shot, stabbed, etc but if you looking to get in your car and drive to an unknown area of the country to explore and enjoy your better off in Canada or NZ. From what I have been told SA is not a place you can rent a car and head off into the hills without some sort of problems.

Hope that solves that and you have a great trip where ever you take off to.