We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hosted or self contained- which do you choose and why?

Hokianga North...
Level Contributor
191 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hosted or self contained- which do you choose and why?

Hello, just wondering what people to our country like and why?

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hosted or self contained- which do you choose and why?

Hello,

We tend to prefer self catering properties as we enjoy our own company and privacy.We like being able to prepare breakfast when we want and to not be obliged to eat dinner in a restaurant every night.It's good to have your own living room to be able to relax in and not have to make polite conversation when all you want to do is chill out quietly by yourself.

On our NZ trip a couple of years back we stayed mostly in motels and apartments although we did choose an hotel for two nights over Christmas to enjoy a Christmas dinner.We also spent several nights staying with friends so did get to experience some 'homestyle' Kiwi hospitality.

On our next trip I think we may stay in B&B's for the occasional night just for the experience and I shall also look at catered lodge-style accommodation if I can find one not too expensive.So I think it could be a mixture of places depending on what is available in the different areas we'll visit.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hosted or self contained- which do you choose and why?

Hi WFH,

Self contained gets my vote. Have tried a variety of accommodations for different experiences. Hotels are OK for 1 nighters (just to sleep). We've stayed at 3 different B&Bs on our travels in NZ as we wanted a "local" experience. First one was a lady from the UK that was a bit strange. Second was a Dutch couple,a bit stand-offish (got a bit put out when we enquired about using the phone at 8.30pm), and third were a UK couple that wanted to be our best friends. They waited for us to get back from dinner than sat with us in the guest lounge all night. Next morning they even sat & had breakfast with us! We didn't get any time on our own unless we were in the bedroom. Maybe we just picked the wrong ones! Are there any New Zealanders out there that run B&Bs??? Or are they all ex-tourists that loved NZ so much that they moved there?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hosted or self contained- which do you choose and why?

yep, many Kiwi's have B&B's and many of us sit and join our guests for an evening drink and also at breakfast. That's what staying in a B&B is all about, joining real Kiwi's in their own home and interacting like friends, not guests and hosts.

If on holiday I love luxury hotels with great room service. But since getting my dog I only go where he can go so now it's motels, cabins, tents and friends/family. And I must say I don't miss the luxury :)

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hosted or self contained- which do you choose and why?

Whilst hosts at many B&Bs may share their meals with guests and generally spend quite a bit of time interacting, this is not necessarily typical, and people who are not keen on having that level of interaction with their B&B hosts should not be put off considering B&Bs.

We run a B&B just outside Whangarei, and whilst we certainly talk to guests, making them welcome and helping them out with any local info, suggestions etc that they may need; our very deliberate policy is that we are set up for privacy & relaxation. We are always available for guests, but we are definitely not in their faces the whole time.

Playa Flamenca...
Level Contributor
152 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hosted or self contained- which do you choose and why?

Hi,

As seniors when touring, we prefer B&B. The last thing we want to do is spend time food shopping whilst on holiday. However, for our recent holiday in NZ we did a mix, B&B and Motels. The reason for this was we travelled light. We worked out before booking when we might need to do laundry and on those nights we stayed in a Motel. Staying in a Motel also gave us the chance to make the occasional convenience food evening meal and eat a normal size breakfast (bowl of cereal) now and again, instead of over-indulging every day. We prefer the intimacy of B&B to the often souless feel of a hotel room. We enjoy the hospitality of our hosts on arrival and like them to be quietly there if we need advice but definitely not in our face. Think this is something a few B&B hosts need to learn.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hosted or self contained- which do you choose and why?

usually its easy to tell which guests want some privacy and which would prefer to chat. But I'm sure there might be the occasional crossed signal :)

and I'm with you BITO, I really dislike supermarket shopping while on holiday. And btw, many B&Bs offer a complimentary wash and fold laundry service, though some only if you stay more than one night.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hosted or self contained- which do you choose and why?

Now I actually enjoy supermarket shopping when in a foreign country.I love browsing the aisles to see what is different and then putting together an evening meal.In NZ we usually tried to stay two to three nights in each place and when in a self catering property would eat out once on average in each town.

We find that this is one way of keeping costs down as we are always in control of how much we spend.Sometimes,when eating out,the bill can surprisingly mount up especially having a drink before hand and wine with the meal.We buy our spirits (Scotch for hubbie and gin for me)at the airport and so we are always set up for an early evening tipple.You also avoid the high mark up on wine in restaurants.I know we would have spent considerably more during our one month stay had we eaten out every night.

We are off next week for a week in a cottage in the north of England and will be self catering apart from some pub meals here and there.This will be our cheap week.Then later in the year we'll be cruising the Med.with all food included so I shall get my little bit of spoiling.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
930 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hosted or self contained- which do you choose and why?

We did some of both, and we liked both. It is fun for us to shop in supermarkets different from ours for foodstuffs we're not used to.

We both like to cook, though, and find that restaurants don't often do a better job than we do. I am always thinking I could do it better for half the price!

It was also fun to stay at B&Bs and learn about the local area from someone very familiar with it. We did NOT have any unpleasant experiences, and I really enjoy reading posts from B&B owners on this section of the forum. You guys are well-informed and always fun to read!

I hate staying in hotels for a whole vacation. One or two nights is fun, but they are soulless and make me feel like I'm just another brick in the wall.

I'm sure there are people who like each type of lodging arrangement enough to spend their whole vacation in the same place, but I will never be one of those.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hosted or self contained- which do you choose and why?

Hi

Like andychef we also have a B n B 25 minutes north west of Auckland City. And we are New Zealanders, a fact that we advertise on our web site. We try to read our guests mood and either stay around to talk or leave them completely alone. But sometimes one will read the guests incorrectly.

We offer a laundry service but not for one night stays as our laundry is line dried.

We also are very lucky to have a huge selection of take aways, cafes and restaurants in the immediate Kumeu area and we are also open to doing meals if that is what the guests wish. We have a separate guest wing so guests do not need to talk to us at all and they have a choice as to where they have their breakfast. We have a huge dining room attached to our kitchen and even the newly married bride and groom usually elect to have breakfast at our rimu dining table with the other guests. One bride even came to breakfast in her wedding dress so the other guests could see it.

We personally love to stay in B n Bs overseas so we can talk to someone if we want to and some hosts do need to back off. But in most cases we have a great experience.

Kay

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hosted or self contained- which do you choose and why?

We also have a B & B. One room is advertised as a 'homestay' as there is no T.V. or tea/coffee facilities in the room and the entrance is through our living area.

Our other room has a private entrance and is almost self contained. It has a log fire and we make sure the log basket is kept filled. This with its own T.V., DVD & stereo, microwave, fridge, barbecue allows our guests to be independent and prepare basic meals. Having a take away and a small supermarket a block away is also very convenient

Guests are able to choose either hosted or self catering. Most choose to have breakfast at the dining table.

We both feel we are New Zealanders (one born here and the other, leaving England at a young age, has lived here for over forty years).

It was interesting to talk to visiting friends from another part of New Zealand and their answer to the question 'why do you prefer hotels/motels to a B & B?' The answer 'because we know where we want to go and what we want to see so are quite happy to do our own thing.' However overseas they prefer hosted accommodation 'as long as the host is not hovering.'