We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland hotel: Ponsonby or CBD?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
69 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Auckland hotel: Ponsonby or CBD?

Spending a few nights in Auckland and would like to stay in an area with lots of options for restaurants and nightlife, but also within walking distance to major attractions/ferry building. Does Ponsonby fit that criteria, or would we be better off in the central city? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland hotel: Ponsonby or CBD?

I would look at the central city.

My suggestions would be Sky City, Hilton or Crowne Plaza or Rydges.

All very close to the attractions that Auckland City has to offer.

Ponsonby is great, very trendy but a little away from the sights.

Kay

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
69 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland hotel: Ponsonby or CBD?

Thanks, Kay! While you're at it, do you have any suggestions for signtseeing in Auckland? Rangitoto, a day trip to Waiheke Island, top of Sky Tower and the Antarctic Encounter all sound interesting. Any thoughts about these, or is there anything else you would recommend?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland hotel: Ponsonby or CBD?

Hi

I would do the Sky tower, have a meal there, the food is OK but the view is to die for. Last time I was there you could credit the cost of going up the tower against a meal.

As I love nature I would go to Rangitoto, Waiheke is too touristy and expensive for me. Devonport is also an option maybe for lunch.

I have not been to Kelly Tarltons for some time so cannot comment on the Antarctic experience, but have been told that the one in Christchurch is better.

I would go to the Auckland Museum and see the Maori experience which I think is one of the best in the country.

Then there are the outer reaches of Auckland City with its beautiful beaches, rain forest and many wineries. There is so much to see in Auckland and it's immediate surrounds.

Kay

4. Re: Auckland hotel: Ponsonby or CBD?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2009, 06:23