We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Farmstay in North Island for a Family

California
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Topic
Farmstay in North Island for a Family

We are a family with an 11 and 14 year old. I was thinking of spending a few days doing a farmstay. I've looked online and there are so many. I'm looking for recommendations.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Farmstay in North Island for a Family

If you could post your planned itinerary it would be much easier to make suggestions. Were you looking for a large farm and taking part in activities or just a cottage in the country with sheep, cows etc in surrounding paddocks? There are so many different types of farmstays available that it would be best to state your preferences and locality.

California
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Farmstay in North Island for a Family

We would prefer activities. My kids are pretty active and would prefer participating in life on a farm rather than just looking. We will be in NZ in August.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Farmstay in North Island for a Family

And your planned itinerary? Much easier to recommend when we know where you're heading.

California
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Farmstay in North Island for a Family

We only have 11 days, and because we are there in August we have decided on the North Island. Other than planning the farmstay I was thinking to rent a car and then travel with little more open plans.

We have started a list of possible places to see (ie Rotorua, Tongariro and/or Whanganui parks). We want to explore, be relaxed and not feel like we must rush and see everysight possible in the time we are there.

Because we live in Southern California we often have to book most local travel months in advance (campgrounds included - some up to a year in advance.) We were hoping that in early August we wouldn't need to do that. Is that a good idea or not? What would you recommend?

California
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Farmstay in North Island for a Family

Any suggestions for a farmstay on the North Island? We will plan the rest of our itinerary around it. Thank you so much for any ideas.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Farmstay in North Island for a Family

Check out www.newzealand.com under farmstay. But be aware that many are only lifestyle blocks, look for a large acreage and then ask what activities are included. Also what meals they provide.

Kay

California
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Farmstay in North Island for a Family

Thank you for your help. I already looked through the farmstay list. I was hoping that someone had experience with a farmstay they could recommend.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Farmstay in North Island for a Family

Hi Jannie,

One of our forum members has a farmstay in Northland - Waitawa Farmstay, near Broadwood. This is a true working farm with visitor accommodation.

http://www.farmstaynz.co.nz/

Go to the site to search for Waitawa Farmstay.

We havent heard from its host on the NZ forums for a little while - I'm sure she's busy with farming life. I've been working in the Broadwood area these past 6 weeks, and have departed awestruck by the amazing rural & coastal scenery - close to a wide range of natural Northland attractions. You could do a day-tour to Cape Reinga from Waitawa easily , or hop across to historical Kerikeri township, and the kauri forests on the way. Waitawa does cheese-making sessions too. Yum!

Cheers.

California
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Farmstay in North Island for a Family

Thank you so much Frangipani!!

10. Re: Farmstay in North Island for a Family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2010, 05:17