We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquake Zone

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,533 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Earthquake Zone

NZ is prone to earthquakes, with many shakes per month. Few are serious though and our buildings are all built to withstand a strong shake.

Tonight, 30 minutes ago, we had a good shake reading magnitude 6.6

My house shook and the glasses rattled but no damage occurred.

So what to do in an earthquake?

- Crouch in a doorway or under a table, keeping away from windows.

- All accommodation providers will have an emergency plan displayed in your room. Once the shaking stops meet at the designated area.

- Always wear footwear after a quake as there may be broken glass.

- Every accommodation should supply a torch/flashlight in the bedside table.

- the emergency number is 111

so next we will have the aftershocks... they are sometimes almost as strong as the initial quake and can occur many hours later.

Barry, Wales, UK
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earthquake Zone

Hi Wanakalakes

Glad to hear you are ok.

We just heard on our news that an earthquake had occurred of the south shore, west of Invercargill. Thankfully no reports of casualties or to much damage.

Hope news is as good regarding aftershocks.

Peter

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Earthquake Zone

Yikes!! Just west of Invercargill??? Maybe I'll take it off my list. Is that so I can visit Wanaka instead? WL, you'll go to any lengths! Hope you're all ok & not get too many aftershocks.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Earthquake Zone

Glad all is well with you WL and trust there were no casualties.

I remember,when at school in NZ, having earthquake drill and having to crouch under my desk.Do they still do this?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Earthquake Zone

News reports have upscaled it to being 7.8 shake.

Little damage.No casualties.

So shaken, not stirred hey WL.Hope you were having cocktails then?

My son's Swedish partner went down there 2 weeks ago to work at Treble Cone so she's lucky to experience this mild shake.Something to write home about.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Earthquake Zone

Hi WL, It was a good one, wasn't it?? Just watching Cold Case & I thought it prudent to move outside, so I missed the end of it. THese things never come at a convenient time.

THis would have been the strongest I have felt, and that is born out by the reports coming in. 7.8 is a decent quake. THis one was guite gentle though, with a sustained rolling motion, rather than a sharp jolt, which probably explains the lack of damage reported (so far). Still have to do my building inspection, but there is no obvious damage. All the guests were out in the car park, and took it pretty well, most regarding it as an adventure, though some sat in their cars for a couple of hours until the after shocks died down.

Amazing how fast news travels. 10 minutes after the initial shock I had a call from my daughter in Australia, and my son was skypeing from Japan.

Heres a link to a news artical on it.

…yahoo.com/a/…

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Earthquake Zone

Glad to see there were no injuries from such a large 'quake. Hmm - and I thought it was only the RESIDENTS that were a bit shakey in Invercargill.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,163 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Earthquake Zone

Pleased to hear that you are OK in Wanaka, WL. Very good information posted on this thread to alert others for risk-management plans to be in place.

Today's NZ Herald says that diners in Queenstown restaurants had their meals disrupted. Thankfully it was more of a 'shock' from having the ground suddenly roll beneath the table, rather than any damage to person or property. But I did read where power-lines and telephone overloading suffered disruption.

I wondered why we had an unusually 'warm day' here in Northland. It's often a sign for a spontaneous geological occurence. But no after-shocks felt up here in Northland - maybe too far from the epicentre. Herald says that NZ has some 10,000+ earthquakes per annum, and we are situated on the fault line afterall. It's what has provided NZ with its spectacular volcanic and alpine scenery afterall.

Cheers.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Earthquake Zone

Just had a call from my brother in law who is a fisheman. He was moored right on the epicentre in Dusky Sound, and reckoned the boat lifted about 6 ft on the air with the first shock. Spent the rest of the night criusing around the sound well away from potential land slips. We was in Charles Sound when the last big one hit in 2003, and his boat almost got washed ashore, so he's rather cautious now.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,447 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Earthquake Zone

Hey VBC, remember that's a fisherman telling you that you know ;)

I also heard about it within minutes from a forum friend in Wales who monitors the Geo Quake site. Glad it hasn't caused the damage it could have if it had of been sharp jolts although there's bound to be a few landslides out there.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,163 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Earthquake Zone

Oh LOL Harleynut.

Is that a reference to our iconic leader - who switched his cement-mixer for mayoral chains so he can play the game closer to his chest? He's "priceless". Hoping to see our 'Southland personality' on telly tonight - with a personal near-miss/shocking tale of his own to tell.

BTW, I don't think our shakiness will be in any way connected to our form or preparations for Saturday however!!