We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My New Zealand Recommendations

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
My New Zealand Recommendations

North of Auckland:

We just LOVED Matakana. Had fabulous lunch at Heron's Flight vineyard and then gelato at Charlie's just down the road. Be sure to visit Tawharanui, and we passed the Sandpiper Lodge and it looked spectacular. We liked this area better than the Bay of Islands where we spend four days. Also, visit Morris and James Country Pottery and Cafe. Great food there, too. Ascension Vineyard is highly rec as well, though we didn’t go. If you fly into Auckland you could easily spend a few days up in this area (just 2 hrs. maybe? from Auckland) and then fly down to Te Anau area.

South Island:

Southland: flew into Queenstown, then drove to Glenorchy. Stayed at Kinloch lodge—very basic accommodations (they don’t take kids in their fancier rooms), but great food and beautiful area: http://www.kinlochlodge.co.nz/

Queenstown is very beautiful, but the downtown very busy with adventure seekers—100’s of bungee jumping outlets.

Te Anau: Loved this place. There are two cottages—perhaps one for your parents and one for yourselves?

http://www.glacialrock.com/

I belly-ached over which boat cruise to take to Milford and Doubtful sounds, but in the end I chose the biggest operator, Real Journeys, and we were very happy with them. We thought a bigger boat would be better with the kids, and we were right about that. We had taken a small boat cruise with kids in Alaska and there’s not much room for kids to run around. Also, note that every cruise in Milford and Doubtful does pretty much the exact same thing, so there’s no real incentive to take a different company. Real Journeys sells a package for Milford, Doubtful, and glowworm caves (which, as I said, are also worth doing). Actually, one really cool thing to do (we didn’t because we decided that it was just too pricey) is to take the boat overnight to Doubtful Sound. I think the overnight in Doubtful looks much more interesting than the overnight in Milford. We saw the spot where both ships anchored for the night, and definitely Doubtful is better. This would be a really cool thing to do with your parents (or maybe your parents by themselves):

realjourneys.co.nz/Main/…

The overnight cruise has to be booked WAY in advance, but if you decide just to make day trips, then I recommend waiting until you arrive and booking them all when you get there and can see the weather reports. Since we booked it with the weather in mind we had FABULOUS days for both of our main cruises. The glowworms could be done on a day that it’s rainy.

Nelson:

http://www.clayridge.co.nz/

Beautiful place—can use as a home base to the area—visit the great beach at Kaiteriteri and do some hiking in Abel Tasman.

You could split your time in this area between Clayridge House and the following hotel (we didn’t stay there, but we ate there and thought the whole place was beautiful, albeit pricey):

http://www.awaroalodge.co.nz/links.html

If you don’t stay there, one good thing to do is to take a boat to a beach just south of the lodge and then hike to the lodge for lunch or dinner and then get a boat back from the Awaroa beach. We did this with our three year old.

Other random notes:

Footprint NZ is best guidebook. I also cross-referenced Fodor’s but it’s not as good.

BTW, my colleague who has won several wine tasting contest thought the best vineyard in NZ was Felton Road in Bannockburn, Central Otago. We didn’t go, but it sounds great.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My New Zealand Recommendations

Some interesting recommendations there owl73, thanks for posting them. Sounds like you had a great trip. The Matakana area is one of my favourites too, a foodie's paradise, lots of hidden treasures. Did you do the walk right at the end of the road past Sandpiper Lodge? An excellent area with lots of native birds. I can tell you that Sandpiper Lodge is indeed "spectacular", I have had the pleasure of staying there quite anumber of times......my BIL owned it for a couple of years although I believe it has had a total revamp since he moved on.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My New Zealand Recommendations

Thanks for the comments Owl. So glad you enjoyed Fiordland (of course everybody does :).

You reinforce what I have always said about which is the best operator on Milford Sound. It really makes no difference, they are all great.

You are lucky to have got good weather. You didn;t say what month you were here, but so far July/August has been totally forgettable. Rain most days, with occasional snow. THe milford Road has been closed for the past three days, and it's closed again today. Much more of this and we will develop webbed feet.

3. Re: My New Zealand Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2010, 06:17