We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 weeks in a campervan - itinery?

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
4 weeks in a campervan - itinery?

Hey,

Me and my mate have rented a campervan for 4 weeks in January. We're flying into Auckland and then out of Queenstown just under 4 weeks later. Can anyone suggest what route we should do? We're on quite a tigh budget so we're thinking of buying a BBQ and then grilling up everynight at local campsites.

Any suggested routes would be really appreciated!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 weeks in a campervan - itinery?

Hi McNoodle :)

www.newzealand.com has some great itinerary ideas to get you started. Once you have decided your basic itinerary we can help fine tune it for you. Campervans generally are slower moving than a car so if using say Google maps, add extra time to their suggested drive times.

I don't use commercial campsites (I use DOC ones) but presume they all have BBQ's available for their guests. It would save you having to schlep a dirty BBQ around from place to place. If you do buy a portable BBQ do ensure you never have it in the camper overnight. The risk of fire, fumes etc is too awful to think about.

One drawback to Jan camping is that many of the campsites are fully or heavily booked while Kiwi families take their summer holidays. I suggest you prebook at least your first night or two to get you started.

DOC sites are excellent and as many of them can't be prebooked you can often find a spot to camp.

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Hope this helps, happy planning :)

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
757 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 weeks in a campervan - itinery?

The route you take is one of personal preference. I had friends from US visit for 2 weeks years ago and sent them off to the S Island, which naturally they enjoyed immensely. On a return trip this year they did only the North and commented it was equally as enjoyable, Surprised me as the general consensus is the S island is far more scenic. However their total time was 4 weeks in all, so you will find that ample, to appreciate all that our country has to offer.

As the previous poster suggested January is THE busy time for locals on our roads-School holidays. The Bay of Islands to the north is very pretty but it entails going over the same roads twice. roads that WILL be heavily congested in JAN. I suggest you head south where traffic will not be so hectic ( still busy but less stressful. ) North island roads in general are slower, hillier and travelling times greater than the south. 75% of the population live in the north. So in general i suggest you plan for 7 - 10 days in the north island with the remainder in the south.

If you are happy to omit Christchurch on your route, then i would first do Marlborough and the Nelson bays, before heading off through the Buller gorge to the West coast. Punakaiki, Franz joseph and the fox glacier. From here head through the Hast pass toward the Southern Lakes. From here the options are numerous and the route you decide may change as does the mood. But include Queenstown, Te Anau, Milford sound. The drive down the Clutha valley from Alexandra to Dunedin and back through The Maniatoto/Ranfurly are also very rewarding.

Campervanning is a great way to see the country, as your time is flexible. If you do the BBQ thing, pick up a fresh moutain salmon one day- just melt in the mouth.

Have a great trip.

Derek

3. Re: 4 weeks in a campervan - itinery?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2010, 05:20