We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford or Routeburn Track?

Sondrio, Italy
Level Contributor
27 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Milford or Routeburn Track?

I'll spend 3 weeks in New Zealand next February. I like trekking and I plan to do Tongariro crossing, Abel Tasman Kayak/walk, some easy trek in Mt Cook area and few days in Queenstown. I'd like to join "Ultimate Hikes" tours but I've just 3/4 days in Queenstown and I've to choose between Milford and Routeburn Track.

Any suggestion? Some other daily trek to add?

Thank you, Carlo

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford or Routeburn Track?

Hi Carlo, whichever trip you choose you won't be disappointed. A friend who has done both tracks said they enjoyed the views from the Routeburn more.

if you have any time planned in Wanaka, there are some great day hikes in Mt Aspiring National Park, as well as some longer, more challenging routes.

Enjoy :)

Auckland
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford or Routeburn Track?

Hi

Both are absolutely stunning, I would recommend

The Milford Track, takes 4 days to walk.

It is described as "the finest walk in the world".

You will see deep lakes, fiords, lrest and sheer canyons carved out of granite. There is also allot of native birdlife. If lucky you may see a Kiwi, keep an eye out at night!

Routeburn takes 3 dayss to track, takes like 5 hours by bus from Queenstown to get there. Though the distance between the two tracks is short the difference in character is vast. It gets much less rain , so the forests are very different, lots of large pines etc. This track is not as tightly controlled as the Milford so if there is space on the track available you can camp there, just have to pay a surcharge.

Transport is available to and from Queenstown for both.

Either or you should not be dissapointed.

The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a stunner for a days walk!

Have a rad time and get snap happy ready!

Sondrio, Italy
Level Contributor
27 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford or Routeburn Track?

Thank you guys,

I think I'll add some more days in Queenstown/Wanaka and trek both trails.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milford or Routeburn Track?

Just as an aside if you like trekking watch this guy's progress www.fof.org.nz/walk4kiwis

stuff.co.nz/auckland/…Walk-of-life-for-kiwi

You may be able to join him for an hour, a day or even over night, depending if your paths cross.

Enjoy our beautiful country

Kay

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,181 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milford or Routeburn Track?

"I love to travel" - there are no "pines" along the Routeburn - it is National Park so all the trees there are NZ natives - mostly beech iirc. Yes the Routeburn is well worth the trek - you can walk it in either direction so best to link the two at Te Anau: ie Glenorchy to The Divide on the Routeburn; bus to Te Anau; walk the Milford; bus back to Te Anau

OR Te Anau-Milford; bus to Te Anau; bus to the Divide, walk to Glenorchy; bus to Queenstown.

Track Net provides the bus transport very conveniently.

6. Re: Milford or Routeburn Track?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2010, 04:19