We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tramping for three months

Leeds, UK
2 posts
Save Topic
Tramping for three months

Hi all,

i m coming to New Zealand for three months in November and intend to spend the time tramping round. I landing in wellington first. Could anybody help me with a suggested itinerary? I was thinking of heading up the West side of the island then across to the East and up to the top, 90 mile beach, travelling back to Auckland to catch the train to Wellington. From there over to the South Island.

I tried to book the Milford Track in August but it was already booked till February. Should i be thinking now of booking other tracks to get on them or is that the only one that will be fully booked.

many thanks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tramping for three months

This would be the best place to check out what tracks you need to book and what ones you can just walk thru.http://www.doc.govt.nz/ The Milford track is by far the most used but some of the other ones are limited to how many people can do them a day. There is a track that as far as I know is almost finished that runs the full length of New Zealand from North to south or the other way around. Good luck with your tramping.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,343 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tramping for three months

Other "Great Walks" include the Routeburn & Kepler. These do fill up if you require huts as only 40 people can be accommodated in the huts. Abel Tasman is another lovely walk & being coastal, quite different from the mountainous ones. There are also some "private" walks worth investigating such as the Banks Peninsula Track.

Have a great time.

South Island
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tramping for three months

Hi Steve

Apart from Milford there are about 600 back country huts and most of them are not currently being occupied and will be all yours for the night.

The huts on the Great Walk tracks will be busy but usually they can fit one in, you may want to take a tent to ensure you have a bed, and it also helps you to get a good nights sleep.

IMO the walk you must do and it is a train ride from Wellington is the Ruapehu round the mountain track, a bit of a mission with food, but good and not too hard,a memorable walk.

Mt Egmont also has a round the mountain walk, but I would think the best walking is to be had down south, due to the number of tracks to chose from.

Generally when you walk the South Island tracks it is not too difficult to go from one walk to the other, either by shuttle, bus or you will find a fellow tramper who can take you there.

A trip report would be appreciated.

Leeds, UK
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tramping for three months

Thanks for all the great advise, i ll keep you all posted how it goes. I like the sound of a whole island track. Should i start booking paths whilst i m England or would doing it when i arrive in Wellington be a feasible option?

Cheers

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,632 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tramping for three months

Hi Steve, if you wish to do one of the Great Walks you will need to book now as spaces fill fast from Nov on through the summer season. And some of the well known tracks do not permit tents, so a hut pass is mandatory.

The walking/cycling track from top of the North to the end of the South island is nowhere near completion. It is still in the early days of planning, trying to connect all the diverse tracks down the country. The Prime Minister is very keen on the idea, so hopefully it will eventuate :)

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tramping for three months

Hi Steve

In the central north island the the Tongariro Crossing would be a must:

www.tongarirocrossing.org.nz

In the Waitakere Ranges to the west of Auckland there are some 250 kms of walking tracks of varying difficulty which are suitable for both day and overnight tramps.

It has just been announced that a four day tramp in the Ranges, “The Hillary Trail”, will be officially opened on January 11th to honour Sir Edmund Hillary who had and whose family still have strong connections with the area. 11th January will be the second anniversary of Sir Ed's death

The whole trail which will run from the Arataki Visitor Centre via Whatipu, Karekare, Piha, Anawhata and Bethells on up to Muriwai passes through some of New Zealand’s most spectactular coastal scenery. The overall distance is about 70kms but it can easily be broken up and accessed at different points along the way.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tramping for three months

I can also recommend canoeing down the Whanganui River. It's classified as a Great Walk and is usually done as a 3 or 4 day trip. Not many tourists do it as they just don't have the time. But it is a stunning trip, gently paddling down steep river gorges in the natioal park, with just a few rapids to keep things interesting.

There are companies who combine both the hire out of the Canadian canoes or kayaks and the Tongariro Crossing.

8. Re: Tramping for three months

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2010, 05:16