We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 5 - is NZ out of our price range?

UK
Level Contributor
65 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Family of 5 - is NZ out of our price range?

Hi

My husband is being sent to Auckland to work from Nov into Dec. His company have offered to swap his Business Class ticket for 4K for us to use on flights so that the 3 kids and I could join him after his work has finished on 11th Dec hopefully.We'd have to pay 1K ourselves to cover additional transport to get us to his Auckland hotel.

I have spent many hours trying to work out a holiday that would cost us 4K or less all-in. Would anyone know whether I'm just wasting my time, please?

I've looked at Travelodge grade hotels/ hiring a motor home/ restricting ourselves to North Island but still end up way over budget when food/entrance fees are considered.

My husband and I have both been to NZ separately before but would love to take children (15/14/8).

As I would have a real job on my hands to pursuade my employer to let me go (part time teacher) I would really appreciate advice from someone already in the know.

Thanks (hopefully!)

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,115 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 5 - is NZ out of our price range?

Hi hopeful,

Welcome to the NZ forum,

If your family joins your husband from 11 December, how long would your stay in NZ be for? Aim for self catering accommodation - apartments or motels, would be your best option to remain on target with your budget, forget hotels this trip. Similarly with the idea of hiring a rental car to travel around, instead of a motor home. Either book tourist flats at holiday parks or stay in motels when sightseeing the N Is would be more affordable.

Have you got a rough itinerary as to where you want to go after arriving Auckland? If you can let us know how long and where you intend to visit we can offer tailormade suggestions to help meet your costs. Which attractions appeal to your family the most? Looks like applying for leave might be your major hurdle to overcome before you can all comfortably plan for your trip. Cheers.

UK
Level Contributor
65 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 5 - is NZ out of our price range?

Thanks for your reply Frangipani

UK
Level Contributor
65 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 5 - is NZ out of our price range?

Sorry-pressed wrong button

On North Island we would like to see the glow worm caves, Matamata (LOTR fans), the big luge run my husband went on last time, Rotarua/Taupo, Te Papa, Wellington's Botanical gardens, a good volcano, the tropically part on the top of North island....I could go on and on. We also love a good beach and are seasoned campers (though with fridge,loo and airbeds - so we don't exactly rough it!).

Basically - it's geologh/geography/history/bug and animals and-for me-gardening.

I don't know why we don't just come and live there!

Seriously, the 'politics' of even applying for this leave would be bad. I would only risk it if I was sure we could afford to go.

Thanks again for your tips. I'll follow them up.

Cheers

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,115 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 5 - is NZ out of our price range?

"I dont know why we dont just come and live there"! So if Plan A, with a family visit doesnt work out, just resort to Plan B and get hubby to check out the work opportunities on his visit, while you search out the immigration facts and teaching jobs/lifestyle factors for you both and the children meantime!!!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 5 - is NZ out of our price range?

as mentioned above, renting a car and staying in motels and campground cabins is the more affordable option. You also might enjoy backpackers. Most have a family room with ensuite.

this site is excellent for all accommodation types www.newzealand.com

Late Dec is high season so you will need to book your car and accommodation asap for the cheaper options. The sooner you book, the more choices you will have.

happy planning :)

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 5 - is NZ out of our price range?

Is the 4k pounds Stg, or NZ$? If it's pounds, that would be somewhere around $10,000 NZ$ and you should be able to plan quite a decent holiday fot that amount. If you have already converted it, and it's NZ$4000 I think you would be struggling to have a good holiday for 5 persons on that amount.

Most motel accommodation will cost between NZ$150 and NZ$200 per night for a family. Back packers hostels will be cheaper, but even then you will be looking at around NZ$25 each per night. Meals in restaurants will be about NZ$30 each (minimum). If you buy food and cook it yourself you should allow about NZ$75 per week per person. (Probably more, as you will also have to buy the basics like salt, sugar etc. It costs my wife & I around $150 per week for food.)

We are now up to NZ$1250 per week, and you still haven't been anywhere, or done anything.

Rental cars vary considerably in price, but you won't get much for less than NZ$50 per day, so $350 per week, and more likely $500 - $700 per week.

Most activities which you have to pay for will be between $50 and $200 per person. Entry fees for parks, thermal attractions etc will be under $50 as a rule.

I think NZ is a relatively cheap place to visit, compared with doing a similar trip in the UK or Europe, but for a family of 5 the cost can be considerable, and having to count every penny takes some of the joy out of travelling

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of 5 - is NZ out of our price range?

Hi

Could I suggest that firstly you work out how long you can afford to stay based on a daily amount or a range of daily amounts. This would give you an idea of how many days you could spend here which in turn would determine how much ground you could cover and enable you to finalise an itinerary. This would then make it easier for us to make suggestions.

So how much to budget per day? There are of course a lot of variables but I would say that $500.00 would be the absolute minimum and that somewhere round $750.00 would be more comfortable. As the daily budget goes up then the number of days of course goes down - finalising the number of days may help with your other issue of leave.

UK
Level Contributor
65 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of 5 - is NZ out of our price range?

Well - thanks to your advice, I AM going to apply for the time away. I hadn't even considered YHA and it looks as if that's within budget (even if I get unpaid leave). I'll have to sweat for a week while I wait for their reply but at least I know it's possible now. I'll get planning - just in case!

Thanks very much again for your advice - much appreciated

New Zealand
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Family of 5 - is NZ out of our price range?

Try seeing what transfercar has for returns. You can fly from auckland to ChCh for about $60 each and then take a return car and drive back to auckland. They only give you 3-5 days but you can still get out and see a bit in that time and its costing you nothing. You might be able to get a motorhome with gas and ferry paid for. Other then that I would go with the BBH backpackers over the YHA. YHA is more of a big group place and the BBH will have smaller homestays or something like that in most towns. Also book all your activitys in each city thru the I-site.

It is way cheaper to book everything in each town together thru them. As for food it depends on what you want each night. I would say somewhere around $50min a night. Hostels sometimes have extra stuff like sugar and salt so don't worry about that stuff.

I think you can see both thermal attractions in Rotorua and do the luge for around $70 each. Drive thru Tongariro NP to see volcanoes. Stop in wellington to see te papa. Stop in Matamata on your way to Rotorua or make a trip from there on your way to auckland. That way when you get to auckland you can rent a car and go North and you have not really spent anything on Gas and a Rental car.And you got the see 1/3 of the south island.

Also shop at the Mad butcher if your looking for meat in the North Island. Its alot cheaper and better quality then the superstores.

Hope that helps.

UK
Level Contributor
65 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family of 5 - is NZ out of our price range?

Wow. It looks like we are booked! Yay hey! Just waiting for the confirmation of our booking from husband's work. Sooo many things have had to come together before midnight today to make this happen and it was like some weird sit-com script, but it's done. 5 to NZ for just shy of 1K of our own cash.

Sometime tomorrow evening, when I've calmed down a bit, I'll be looking into all your good ideas.

Thanks again.