We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stop overs UK to NZ

sussex U K
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
stop overs UK to NZ

Planning a trip next year and would like to hear views on stopovers in both directions. Also how long a stopover is usual - never having done a long haul flight not sure how tired we will be.

Thanks

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stop overs UK to NZ

I assume that you will be flying standard accomodation, if so, my recommendation is at least one night stop each way. It gives you a chance for some proper sleep, also a little more time for your body to adjust to the time changes.

Last time we flew, we stopped at HongKong, the hotel on our return was in the city itself at the "BPInternational' (The headquarters for Scouting) So the range of accomodation was brilliant. If you get a room facing the city, then in the evening you have excelent viewing of the HongKong Laser light display.

I found the menu in the hotel was excellent and was comfortable with the food, as they do cater well for a european flavour

Hertfordshire. UK
Level Contributor
197 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stop overs UK to NZ

I am a kiwi living in UK and try to go home once a year. You can choose as long or short stopover as you want, depending on what you want to see!

Its about 26 flying hours and is TIRING especially with the stopover!!

Depending on which airline (and therefore cost) you choose, usual stopovers include

LA (I normally go straight through here, try and get on NZ1 which means no faffing with having to go through customs and check in again - if you have to do this allow 3-4 hours from my last experience 3 years ago, although it may have changed now) - this is the most tiring in my experience but the most direct.

Dubai - Australia - NZ - Emirates normally - here if you havent been to either you can stop off for a day or 2

Singapore - which I love - either a few hours in the airport which is lovely, for a swim, beer, chilli crab and shower - or a day/evening as it is so lovely

Hong Kong - again lovely

And I am sure others I have forgotten......

It depends on what your time frame is. The longer the stopover, the less jetlag, and the less chance of DVT. And it all depends on the airline I guess!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stop overs UK to NZ

We have just booked our NZ holiday today. Flying out from Heathrow in mid-March with Air New Zealand and stopping off in Hong Kong for three nights (Eaton Hotel, Kowloon) before arriving in Christchurch. After much consideration, decided not to hire a camper van and booked a car instead. Decided to book accommodation in advance in Christchurch as a friend's cousin has a b&b there but planning to take pot luck with accommodation elsewhere and just see where we end up.

Likely to spend 15 days or so on SI and the rest on the NI. Booked flights, car hire and Hong Kong hotel with Trailfinders in Canary Wharf. Found them very helpful. Took about two hours to decide on everything. They were very patient and had lots of good tips and helpful advice. Flying back to London from Auckland with a two hour stop-over in Los Angeles. Not looking forward to such a long flight with no overnight stop but decided to spend longer in NZ instead. Will report back on our trip some time in April. Really looking forward to exploring such a beautiful country. Hope your trip goes well.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
5 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stop overs UK to NZ

We stopped off in Singapore for 2 nights on the way to NZ and one night in Hong Kong on the way back. Arrangements on the way out were perfect (enough time to go to Raffles, do the night Safari, have a wander around for a day and a half)......and to maximise our time in NZ.

Our decision to stop off in HK for one night was NOT a good one. We got in at 7.30pm, got dropped off at the hotel at 8.30 (just in time to miss the harbour light show), only had time for a quick wander before getting something to eat at the hotel buffet which, unbeknown to us closed at 10pm,. Got about 4 hours sleep before our shuttle pick-up (and we were too early - security didn't open till 6am and we couldn't get a coffee or anything to eat till 7am). The hotel in HK (Harbour Plaza in Kowloon) was lovely, great views and we got upgraded to a suite. However, didn't get a chance to see/enjoy it, and having so little sleep overnight was worse than getting none. We got home knackered! This may have been linked to flight times but we will certainly NOT go for a single night stopover next time we go to NZ. You need to think about flight times and how well you sleep on planes before deciding on your arrangements.

But, whatever you do, it's worth it. NZ is fantastic.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stop overs UK to NZ

Hi sussexgirl,

Obvioulsly, how long you stop over depends on how long you have in total to travel. If you only have a few weeks to see NZ then you may be best to avoid stopovers, or limit them to brief 'sleep-overs' in airport hotels. Otherwise it's too far to come with not enough time to see anything.

However, if you are looking at about a month or more, then I think you should definitely make the most of your stopover options. I LOVE stopovers. The world is such a diverse and interesting place and if I have the option to go visit a new city for 2 or 3 days at little or no extra cost to my airfare, then I'm going to take it. In fact, the only long distance stopover I've had where I didn't leave the airport was Hong Kong. I actually really regret that decision as it will now cost me at least $1000 to go back and visit that city at a later dater, something I may never get around to doing.

Places I have stopped over at for anything from two to five nights include Dubai, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, L.A., San Francisco, Honolulu and Tahiti. They were all great places for different reasons, but in the case of most of them, I now feel like I have had a sufficient enough taste of each place that I probably won't return. Basically the stopover has served it's purpose.

I recommend you weigh up your timeframe, weigh up your interests and then go from there. Also, if stopovers really interest you, it pays to do a little digging into all of your options. When booking my first flight to the U.K, it was only after some investigation that I discovered that I could fly a combination of Air Tahiti and Virgin Atlantic to the U.K at a rate that was cheaper at the time than any other one airline. I opted for this option as it allowed me to first stopover in Tahiti and then L.A. After that I could either fly straight from L.A to London, or I had the choice of paying for a domestic fare to one of about 7 destinations in the U.S and then flying on to London from there. I was like a child in a candy shop with that one :-)

Anyway, whatever you decide, have fun doing it.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,635 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stop overs UK to NZ

Fly Air NZ to Auckland via LAX, with a stopover in the fabulous Cook Islands. Direct flights from LAX every Sunday afternoon to Rarotonga, arriving there Monday morning. Allow 2/3 days minimum sightseeing around Rarotonga, before flying directly to Auckland (daily flights) via Air NZ . Lots of good accommodation right around the island, mostly beachfront or with the beach no more than 5 minutes easy walk away. Aitutaki is popular with Brits, having the TV series "Shipwrecked" being filmed on one of our islets in the azure-blue lagoon. Breathtaking scenery. Check out our friendly Cook Islands forum. And we use NZ dollars as our currency, having a continued association with NZ.

Return to UK via Hong Kong on Air NZ, - or back to Raro (and on to LAX) for some more tropical R & R!

Edited: 17 January 2010, 20:54
Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stop overs UK to NZ

I thoroughly recommend going for one of the Asian stopovers (HK, Singapore, KL or Bangkok), and try to do a couple of days if you have the time.

All of these cities are well set up for stopovers with excellent transport links and nice hotels at very reasonable prices.

I personally would avoid going through LA unless you have absolutely no other option, as the experience is about 10 times more stressful and unpleasant than going through any of the Asian airports.

The one benefit of going through LA is that you can have a larger luggage allowance (approx double) compared to flying via Asia.

If you are on a shortish holiday this probably isn't too relevant - if you need more than 20kg of baggage you must be packing too much !!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: stop overs UK to NZ

Depending on which airline you are using and where they stop I would definately recommend an Asian stopover. Hongkong and Singapore are both easy, safe and there is so much you can do. I usually have a 3 night stop either way so I get 2 full days to explore. I would avoid Los Angeles airport at all costs!!!! very busy, unorganised, confusing, scarey security and poor facilities. However in saying that if you have never been to Disneyland, Universal Sudios or Knotts Berry Park before I would probably go via Asia one way and Los Angeles the other! Have fun!

sussex U K
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stop overs UK to NZ

Thanks for your replies, gives us several points to consider. Singapore we have seriously thought about - but hadn't thought about places like the Cook Islands - more research to do.

Trip provisionally booked for March/April 2111 so still in early planning stage. Already know we want to learn about NZ wines and also do some bird watching.

Finding the forum really interesting.

Sussexgirl

10. Re: stop overs UK to NZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2010, 05:19