We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary help please

Brighton UK
Level Contributor
1 post
40 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary help please

Husband and I (both mid 50's) will be visiting NZ arriving in Auckland on 29th December 2010 we have been giving lots of thought to our itinerary , we would like to visit the places listed below, and would really appreciate any advice on our proposed route etc. We have 30 days to spend in NZ and would like to know if the following can be comfortably achieved within that time.

Auckland pick up hire car

Bay of Islands Paihia (to include New Years Eve)

Rotorua

Napier

Martinborough

Wellington drop off car

Interislander ferry to Picton collect car

Blenheim

Kaikoura

Christchurch

Dunedin

Te Anau

Milford Sound overnight cruise if possible

Queenstown

Lake Wanaka

Franz Joseph or Fox Glacier

Greymouth possibly drop off car and then

Tranzalpine train to Christchurch or

drive to Christchurch drop off car fly back to Singapore/UK

We love good food and wine, luxury accomodation, beautiful scenery, gentle walks, places of interest, history and meeting people. Budget not too much of an issue, we are doing our best to spend the kids inheritance!

All suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary help please

Hello

Welcome to the New Zealand Forum.

With 4 weeks and the fact that you are planning to fly into Auckland and out from Christchurch you should have plenty of time to visit the places that you have indicated.

As you may have gathered from other posts it takes a long time to get from A to B in New Zealand. We do not have an extensive motorway system and our roads are more like your smaller A roads. Don't undersestimate drving times. I always use and recommend Google Maps for route planning. The distances are basic driving times and can be as much as doubled to allow for stops etc.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary help please

Hi there,

I think you've planned a fairly good itinerary with just enough time to visit all the places you've listed. I would visit them in the order you've suggested and stick to main roads as much as possible to avoid doing more driving than necessary. The only thing you would have to add in is a stop between the Bay of Islands and Rotorua as driving this all in one day is too far. Probably the easiest option is just to spend another night in Auckland. If it was me I would structure my overnight stays as follows:

Auckland (1 night)

Bay of Islands Paihia (2 nights)

Auckland (1 night)

Rotorua (2 nights)

Napier (2 nights)

Martinborough (1 night)

Wellington (2 nights)

Blenheim (1 night)

Kaikoura (2 nights or perhaps Kaikoura 1 night, Hanmer Springs 1 night)

Christchurch (2 nights)

Dunedin (2 nights)

Te Anau (1 night)

Milford Sound overnight cruise (1 night)

Queenstown (2 nights)

Lake Wanaka (2 nights)

Franz Joseph or Fox Glacier (2 nights)

Greymouth or Punakaiki (1 night)

Christchurch (1 night)

drive to Christchurch drop off car fly back to Singapore/UK

This totals 28 nights and I assume you have 29 available to you. If so you could add an extra night to the destination that interests you most. Or you could travel the Scenic Route between Dunedin and the Te Anau adding a night in the Cailtlins. Or you could add a night in Taupo on your travels between Rotorua and Napier.

Hope this helps.

Victoria, Texas
Level Contributor
429 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary help please

Be sure to stop and smell the roses in NZ.....there is so much to see and do it becomes a bit overwhelming in planning.

4. Re: itinerary help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2010, 05:17