We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do hotels charge a fee when using credit card

australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
Do hotels charge a fee when using credit card

Hi, do hotels N Z charge a fee when paying by credit , or would it be better to pay by cash, as my bank also charges a fee to convert the currency, Grateful for any feedback. Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,502 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do hotels charge a fee when using credit card

Don't forget you will also have a fee of around 3% to get cash from an ATM or around 6% to exchange cash.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do hotels charge a fee when using credit card

Whilst they are able to charge for credit card use I am not aware of any hotels doing so. I am convinced that should they start we will hear about it.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do hotels charge a fee when using credit card

Rydges in Australia charge to use a credit card and i guess they will soon if not already here in New Zealand. I understand some gas stations restaurants and accommodation in some parts of New Zealand are already charging for using your credit card. So please please ask!!!!!!!!!

They are supposed to tell you.

As for charges every bank is very different with their charges and exchange rate, our experience has been that it is very expensive to use an ATM that is not your banks to draw out cash. Much easier to bring it with you in a money belt.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do hotels charge a fee when using credit card

Some of the Accor chain also charge for a credit card (eg Ibis), although not sure if this yet applies in NZ or to all the Accor brands.

- G

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
749 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do hotels charge a fee when using credit card

Hotels generally do not charge fee for credit card usage and will tell you beforehand if they do have this policy.

Most debit and credit cards will charge a ForEx fee. Our atm card had lower fee , so we used that to pay the room rent.

Edited: 02 February 2010, 18:08
Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do hotels charge a fee when using credit card

There is a new law in NZ that allows all businesses to charge for credit card use if they so choose. Most businesses are not choosing to do so yet, but some are.

As a business owner myself, I believe that this is and always should be a cost of sale that the business builds into their costs, so anyone who is trying to charge an extra fee is double charging you, and should in my opinion be avoided.

Any business that is intending to make a charge must clearly advertise this to customers.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,392 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do hotels charge a fee when using credit card

I quite agree Andy.

I was impressed with Argentina where they would drop I think 5% (I was there over a decade ago) off the retail price if you paid cash. This happened everywhere, including clothing shops and souvenir shops. I don't recall if restaurants did the same. Anyhow I thought that system worked well and it made you more inclined to shop as you felt you were saving money! Twisted logic, I know :)

8. Re: Do hotels charge a fee when using credit card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2010, 07:18