We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help please for 14 days

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
166 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help please for 14 days

Thank you all for your previous input and advice! As hard as it was, I forced myself to narrow down my wish list. This is my current itinerary plan beginning on March 21st.

Day 1- Auckland- explore

Day 2- Drive to Whangarei- explore Whangarei Falls & Abbey Caves- Will it be warm enough in late March for some sunbathing?

Day 3 -Scuba dive at Poor Knight's

Day 4- fly to Dunedin in the morning- I need some help here.

I am planning to take the Elm Wildlife Tour. I am debating staying a second night to also do Penguin Place at dusk. Does anyone know if this would be worthwhile during the time I'll be there? Another option would be to spend the day touring Otago peninsula and Penguin Place and then taking the Elm Wildlife tour that afternoon/evening.. I know this is not the best time of day to visit Penguin Place, but it would eliminate the need for a second night here.

Also, I'm debating whether to stay in Dunedin or at the motel on Otago Peninsula. Thoughts?

Day 5- Drive to Queenstown- explore- planning to get rid of the rental car in Queenstown- hoping to save a few bucks and stay in a central location

Day 6- explore- bungee jump & jetboating with Skipper’s Canyon

Day 7- Bus/Cruise from Queenstown to Milford with Naked Bus

Day 8- drive to Wanaka- relax- take a walk- possibly Puzzling World and definitely the unique movie theater

Day 9- drive to Fox Glacier

If possible, I would like to limit my stay here to 1 night. I will most likely do the heli-hike. Should I try to book it after my drive on Day 10 or book it for the morning of Day 11?

Day 10- possibly heli-hike this day? then drive to Punakaiki

Day 11- drive to Abel Tasman- explore- possibly take in Nelson?

Day 12- hanggliding- Abel Tasman;

Our friend in Auckland wants to do a two day trip with overnight camping in the park. We have never done any camping before. Thoughts?

Day 13- more

Day 14?

This gives me one more day to put into the itinerary.

Should I add the day to Dunedin/Otago peninsula, Whanagei, or Fox? Also, do you think I should keep Abel Tasman as three nights or change it to two?

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on all this. I cannot wait to go!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help please for 14 days

Hi TSC, you've been busy :)

some comments...

Dunedin and the peninsula both have great places to stay. The city has more dining options.

I doubt you will find a rental car company willing to have you rent a car in Dunedin and then drop it off in Queenstown the next day.

I would book your heli-hike for the morning of the 11th. It always takes longer than anticipated to drive from Wanaka to Fox. If you unexpectedly arrive in Fox in good time you can always ask to do a heli-hike that afternoon, weather permitting.

Camping can be an extremely expensive activity if buying all the equipment just for a one night stay. Are you able to borrow or rent tent, sleeping bags, cooking stove, pots etc?

hope this helps, happy planning :)

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help please for 14 days

You can stay in the huts in Abel Tasman NP. I would call in advance as I believe you have to obtain a permit to use the huts (as they only sleep so many people). Saves buying gear.

Matt

3. Re: Itinerary help please for 14 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 February 2010, 23:35
Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
166 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help please for 14 days

Thank you everyone for your input. Wanaka Lakes- I haven't looked into rental cars yet. Thanks for giving me a heads up.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help please for 14 days

Agree with Wanaka lakes re the rental car, as far as I know that is a no and if it is possible they will really charge you.

Have you booked the dive at the Poor Knights???

Please do so.

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
166 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help please for 14 days

I haven't booked anything yet. Once I get official approval for time of work, I will book everything including my dive.

Everyone's really pumping me up for diving!

7. Re: Itinerary help please for 14 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2010, 05:18