We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Day Road Trip

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
7 Day Road Trip

Hi, thinking of hiring a motorhome / car for a week road trip round both islands of New zealand, does anybody have any must sees and wether it would be possible or should I stick to just one island and if so which one

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,680 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Day Road Trip

You won't get "around" one island, much less both in 7 days. Campervans are slower so suggest a car. Choose one island and fly to the south and drive back or if you can get an "open jaw" ticket so much the better. When are you travelling as day length will also affect how far you can go.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,959 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Day Road Trip

Also which season you intend to sightsee could have a bearing on how far you can travel between 1 destination and another. During winter-time, snow and ice can affect road travel around the mountainous regions & passes and the Milford Sound road.

One week is a nice length of time to focus on some main attractions in the South Island including Queenstown/Milford Sound/Te Anau/Wanaka area, or the Marlborough Sounds/Nelson/Tasman Bay area. In the North Island, one week is sufficent to arrive Auckland and either focus on Coromandel/ Bay of Plenty/Rotorua & Taupo area, or north from Auckland to the Bay of islands/Northland region. If arriving into Auckland (most international travellers do), you would need to take a domestic flight from Auckland to Queenstown, or to either Blenheim or Nelson to explore the top of South Is.

The key for NZ exploration is to keep your itinerary tight, and focus on seeing the sights related to the area.

Happy planning.

Edited: 15 April 2010, 21:25
South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Day Road Trip

7 days means you will have to pick an area in one island as Frangipani08 suggests and explore that.

If you are into the wide open spaces I would suggest you fly to Queenstown and base yourself there. From there you will be able to choose activities to more than cover the 7 days. Hire a car from Queenstown if the need arises.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Day Road Trip

NZ is an area bigger than Britain, is spread over 2 islands and is long and thin. I'm not sure a WRC trip could cover the country in 7 days. Pick one region and enjoy it. decide on what you would most like to experience and then decide where to go.

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Day Road Trip

sorry peeps, we are thinking of traveling late october, the tickets we are looking at gave us an option to land in Auckland and fly out from christchurch, so I was wondering if a road trip from one to the other would have be possible but if I were to tour 1 island what would be the better one?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,959 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Day Road Trip

A 7 day road tour making your way from Auckland to Christchurch provides a nice spread of sights over that period. Otherwise, you could arrive Auckland, view the city sights and beyond to surrounding region over couple days, then fly to Queenstown, or Nelson and focus on the sights within the area over several days using rental car then continue to Christchurch airport for flight out.

Or see Auckland sights via rental car, drive to Waitomo Caves, Taupo and Rotorua, or Corormandel, Bay of Plenty, and Rotorua for domestic flight to Christchurch, visit the city and Akaroa, or Hamner & Kaikoura, plus Christchurch city before flight out.

Alternative to central plateau region (Rotorua and Taupo), is to drive north to Bay of Islands, Cape Reinga, Hokianga harbour & Waipoua native forest back to Auckland for domestic flight to Christchurch. October weather is reasonably warm and springtime is lovely in Northland/Bay of Islands (the maritime region of NZ). Flights from Kerikeri airport to south also.

Happy decision-making!

Edited: 16 April 2010, 19:59
West Des Moines...
Level Contributor
66 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Day Road Trip

Depends on your interests. We toured high points of both in 14 days. In Auckland a twentysomething told us that the south island 'was a bit slack' But I would say that there are really great things on both. Since you're landing in Auckland It's probably a good idea to take in the city while your there museums were nice and half day trip to Waiheke was great. Myriad of dining options along the waterfront in Auckland and touristy stuff galore. Many say go to the Glow Worm Caves but personally I'd skip it and do the Hobbiton Farm tour in Matamata. Catch a thermal area on your way south the Rotorua park was nice and free but Wai-Tapu or others have different things in them, Huka falls is also on your way southbound. From there you'll probably need to race to Wellington and catch the ferry unless you fly out of Rotorua. The scenery on the ferry ride was nice and I'd probably do it again. We did a day of wine country touring in Marlborough region (highly reccommend) and spent a day in Queenstown, my least favourite time was in Christchurch but they have some nice parks that should be in bloom while your there. Peace

8. Re: 7 Day Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2010, 07:15